Can't create event from .ics file on mac calendar instead of Google Calendar

Reaction score
My daughter sent me an e-mail with an .ics file that she created with her Google calendar. I opened it on my Mac, where my default calendar is on my wife’s iCloud. But I have access to a shared Google calendar which is used by the senior-living apartment where I live.

My problem is - when I open the .ics attachment, it creates an event on the Google calendar, and I cannot change it. I have tried duplicating it and it looks like it is duplicating it to the right calendar - but nothing happens. That .ics has notifies to 4 people.

How do I move it to my desired calendar?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hi Howard Brazee, try the following:
  • Open Apple Calendar and navigate to the File ~> Import ~> Import... menu.
  • Find and highlight the desired ICS file.
  • Click Import.
  • Select the calendar to which you want the imported events added.
  • Click OK.
If prompted that "Some of the events in this calendar have alarms that open files or applications," click Remove Unsafe Alarms to avoid all security risks from calendar alarms that open potentially harmful applications and documents, and then check that all desired alarms for future events are set.

Reaction score
Odd, I can't open the .ics file at all using Calendar now. Maybe it's because I accepted it. Well, next time she sends me a calendar event, I will try opening it the way you showed me, thanks.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
If you have the .ics file try dragging it onto Calendar's icon in the Dock. If you don't have Calendar's icon in your Dock just launch the app then try to drag the .ics file onto the icon ...

Reaction score
I don't know why, but that doesn't do anything either. I see that there's an input invitation which I accept. But it doesn't implement.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I just went through the steps to recreate what I thought were your circumstances to see exactly what is going on.

I went to Google Calendar & created an event & added a guest which in your case would be your daughter adding you.
Next I was asked if I wanted to send an invite to the guest which would be an email containing an .ics file for the event.
Then I went to Mail & saw the email invite containing the .ics file.
I looked at the email & saw the following as per my image:

Screen Shot 2018-04-30 at 3.51.15 pm.png

I double clicked on the .ics file above where it has Mail Attachment written & it automatically opened Apple's Calendar and I saw that the event had been added.

If I clicked on Yes (Going?) then I was diverted to my web browser where a window opened with the following info:

Screen Shot 2018-04-30 at 3.54.03 pm.png

Does this make sense with what's happening at your end Howard?

Reaction score
Yes. I even got an in-mail in Calendar. But when I first got it, I got an event in my Google calendar. Now I don't get anything at all. I'm not going to worry about it for now, and will try a different way to load it next time my daughter sends me an invitation.

Reaction score
My daughter sent me another event from her Google calendar. This time, I saved it to my downloads folder, opened my Mac's calendar app, and loaded it from the menu. It opened, I accepted the event, and then it went to my shared Google calendar and won't let me move it to one of my own Apple calendars. I deleted in, which made it decline the invitation. I tried loading it again, but nothing gets entered in my Calendar app. I got two files from her, "Mail Attachment.ics" @ 1.7kb & invite.ics @2.1kb.

I just forwarded the e-mail from my default account to my iCloud account - which is the only account I have my iPad configured to read. I do this when I want to accept a Find My Friends invitation. I read the e-mail on my iPad, accepted the invitation - and wonder of wonder - changed the calendar! It showed up on my Mac with grayed, hatched. I deleted that, and checked my iPad - it was on Google again.

I can't have it on the shared Google calendar, I need it on my personal iCloud calendar (actually it's on my wife's iCloud account).

Ask a Question