External Hardr Drive not Showing up on iMac

Reaction score
Hi guys

Sorry if i have posted this in the wrong forum but i am in a desperate situation and i'm hoping i can get some help!

I am using a Freecom 1TB external Hard Drive (P/N 35253, Model Code SSYAAA) as a back up drive for my iMac, which is running Mountain Lion OSX 10.8.2

I've probably had the drive for a year or 2 and never had any problems. For the past few weeks though it keeps disconnecting, saying that the disc should be ejected properly before removing (Even though i haven't removed it). This would happen a couple of times a day but now it's more and more frequently to the point where i can't use it.

So i went out and bought a new hard drive at the weekend to transfer my files onto and now i can't get the Freecom drive to show up at all. Typical!

Anyway the drive has it's own power source, and when it say's it's been disconnected the drive still seems to be running as i can hear it spinning, so i don't think its a problem with the power adapter. I have checked disc utility and it isn't showing there either.

If anyone can help me out i would really appreciate it as there are some really important files on the drive that i need urgent access to.

Thanks in advance.

**EDIT** - I just tried the Freecom drive on my Macbook Pro and it shows up no problems???

Reaction score
Yeah that was the first thing i did, although i just checked and not everything transferred as i think my wife unplugged it before it was complete. Now she has gone overseas for a couple of weeks (obviously taking the Macbook with her) and i need to get the missing files asap.

Anyone got any other ideas why this is happening or how to fix it?

Ask a Question