Will any External Hardrive work?

Reaction score
I've never purchased an external hardrive for the simple reason that i've never needed one. Here recently I've noticed I've gathered quite a bit of music, pictures, documents, downloads and etc. Im wondering if any external hardrive will work with my mac and if there is anything specific to note about the choosing or using on one.
I'm not in need of something with almost unlimited storage, just something that i can feel safe with knowing that my files are backed up. I would also like to delete a lot of the files off of my computer to clear some operating space and function.
Any advice will be appreciated.
thanks

Reaction score
hi Shocknocka, you need to consider what type of interface your going to use, theres are a prolific number USB connector drives but if your limited in the number of USB plug in points and use them frequently you should consider FireWire or a LAN connection with the RUJ45 cable (it looks like a phone connector on steriods). The LAN/RUJ45 route may be a little complicated but the FireWire is a plug and play connection and is able to handle good volumes and are very reasonable price. I would talk around and/or visit web pages to get a basic understanding of whats avaliable on the market, so when you make your purchase its and intellegent decision, only you have a good idea of what your looking for. So you need to study a little.

Reaction score
As scthunt said there are lot of external HD out their at affordable prices, which ever one you chose to buy you can format it look under Applications/Utilities/disk utilities there you can format, partition it if you wish to.

Ask a Question