Email crash & burn

Reaction score
My email quits whenever I try to send a message on my iMac desktop. I Checked with email service and did a lengthy trouble shooting session. They rebooted my email, we changed password and tried several different ports for outgoing mail. Nothing seemed to work, so we both concluded it must be a computer issue. My iMac is sinked with my MacBook Air. I don't have a problem sending emails on it. Not sure what to do????? I did upgrade to Mojave a few months ago, but the problem just started a few days ago...

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

A couple of troubleshooting questions:
-Which version of macOS on the iMac, Mojave also?
-I assume you are using the Mail application?
-Who is the email provider?
-Any third-party utilities like MacKeeper or antivirus installed?

C

Reaction score
Thank you for your response. The version I am using is 10.15.5 I just upgraded to Catalina yesterday. I thought that might help fix my email problem, but it didn't....
Yes, I am using the mail application.
The email provider is Windstream.net
I don't have MacKeeper, I got rid of it last year but I do have Malwarebytes. I am able to receive incoming emails, I just can't send emails. If I go on line to my email webpage I am able to send messages there. However, it's so much more convenient sending them from my desk top and not having to go on line and log in every time I want send an email.

When I go into my email preference and try to make the changes the windstream tech was talking me through yesterday, I kept getting then, and continue getting now, a message that reads, "unable to verify account name and password."

When I upgraded I noticed today I can no longer get into iPhoto and Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate 5.2.1

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

iPhoto was replaced by Photos when Yosemite 10.10 was released, and will not run at all under Catalina. Not sure about the Wondershare application, as I have never used it, but I would guess it needs an update/paid upgrade.

-Is your Windstream account setup as POP or IMAP?
-Do you have a lot of saved email on your Mac, or can you see any manually made folders when you login to webmail?
-What settings were they helping you adjust? Were they changing ports in the Mail app?

C

Reaction score
I just did some research about iPhoto and Photos. It shows how to migrate my iPhoto things to Photo so I'll be trying that later on. It also said there is a way I can uninstall Catalina and go back to Mojave to be able to get into iPhotos save what I want to an external drive then reinstall Catalina, but it would be a very long process. There's not too many things in iPhoto I need to save, but I do want to try to salvage my slideshows. If the migrate doesn't work I may try that...

My Windstream Incoming is set up as IMAP. The outgoing is SMPT

I do have quite a few manually made folders. However I've been going through the ones I don't really need any more and deleting them. I've gotten it down from over 8,000 saved emails to around 6,500. I probably need to get rid of some more. I see quite a few manually made folders. Some I had deleted on my desktop are still showing in my on webmail.

The settings the windstream tech was helping me adjust were basically in "Server Settings." The main area he looked at was Port. He said Windstream's default port is 465. We changed it to 25 and to another number I can't remember. However every time I would hit save, we'd get the message, "unable to verify account name and password." He did reboot my mail account and we changed the password. When we did that the port setting went to "manually manage connection settings." I unchecked the box and reentered the 465 port number. But then, instead of the message, it said "accessing account." But the little wheel just keeps spinning for about ten minutes and we never were able to access the account. I recheck the manually manage connection settings, and it went back to that setting. We retried unchecking and using the port number, and it went back to, "unable to verify account name and password" I hit save. That's when he figured the problem must be with the computer and not windstream.

Reaction score
I accidentally stumbled on to a solution. I went into system preferences and thought to myself, what if I delete my current email account, hit + and added it back to my account. So, in Trump fashion asked myself, "What do I have to lose?" I deleted the old account and added a new account. That's all it took. I sent a couple test emails and it worked both times....

Thanks for hanging in there with me....

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Excellent...we would have gotten to that as a suggestion eventually. ;)

Glad it is resolved.

Stay healthy and safe.

C

Reaction score
I accidentally stumbled on to a solution. I went into system preferences and thought to myself, what if I delete my current email account, hit + and added it back to my account. So, in Trump fashion asked myself, "What do I have to lose?" I deleted the old account and added a new account. That's all it took. I sent a couple test emails and it worked both times....

Thanks for hanging in there with me....
Hi Geece, I've tried this and it says the email already exists. Any other suggestions? Thank you. Joe

Ask a Question