Protecting MAC computer against malware, online, and email threats???

Reaction score
Greetings,

What is everyone doing to protect your MAC computer against malware, online, and email threats?
Besides common-sense practices like: don't go to strange websites, don't click on unknown emails, etc...

It seems that most people on the Apple Forums don't recommend using commercial Anti-Malware or Internet Security software. MacOS Catalina has protection built into it and Apple handles everything with OS updates.

They don't recommend software like: Norton Security, McAfee, Webroot Internet Security, CleanMyMac, Bitdefender, Malwarebytes, etc. They say this type of software slows down the computer and do more harm than good and they can corrupt the operating system.

What are your opinion and recommendations?

Cheers!

Reaction score
I run MalwareBytes regularly on my macs . I would not use Norton under any circumstances, I have had a few PCs with it preinstalled and the first thing I did was to get rid of it.

Reaction score
I run MalwareBytes regularly on my macs . I would not use Norton under any circumstances, I have had a few PCs with it preinstalled and the first thing I did was to get rid of it.

What is your take on "Bitdefender Total Security"? Is it any good?

Reaction score
MalwareBytes is really all you need, and the free version is perfectly adequate. It won't slow your Mac as it only runs when you ask it too.

Reaction score
Greetings,

What is everyone doing to protect your MAC computer against malware, online, and email threats?
Besides common-sense practices like: don't go to strange websites, don't click on unknown emails, etc...

It seems that most people on the Apple Forums don't recommend using commercial Anti-Malware or Internet Security software. MacOS Catalina has protection built into it and Apple handles everything with OS updates.

They don't recommend software like: Norton Security, McAfee, Webroot Internet Security, CleanMyMac, Bitdefender, Malwarebytes, etc. They say this type of software slows down the computer and do more harm than good and they can corrupt the operating system.

What are your opinion and recommendations?

Cheers!
Mac is already quite protected. Almost any of the major programs would be fine. I have been in IT for almost 40 years and I use Symantec SEP on all my client computers (some 13,000) and never had an ounce of a problem. The greatest concern come from exploits to Java and Flash.

Reaction score
Sophos free provides continuous protection and seems to have little or no impact on speed.

Reaction score
Agree MalwareBytes is very good and in fact my bank has offered the premium version free for 2 years to online banking customers, so praise indeed. Norton though I have not had any problem with and don't understand the comments against it. If it was that bad maybe Mac would advise you to not use it. May be they do and I have missed it?

Reaction score
Agree MalwareBytes is very good and in fact my bank has offered the premium version free for 2 years to online banking customers, so praise indeed. Norton though I have not had any problem with and don't understand the comments against it. If it was that bad maybe Mac would advise you to not use it. May be they do and I have missed it?
You have not missed it. These discussions about what anti-virus to use, remind me of car forums and which oil to use. Anu of the major players, with the exception of Kaspersky, for obvious reasons, are fine.

Reaction score
I found Norton to be very resource hungry and it profoundly impacted the performance of my machines. YMMV.

Reaction score
I found Norton to be very resource hungry and it profoundly impacted the performance of my machines. YMMV.
Symantec SEP and all of it's related entries use about .5% of the CPU and 485 mgb of ram. I would be curious as to your exact CPU and Memory load of Norton?

Ask a Question