SOLVED iMac keyboard problems

Reaction score
Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 6.59.36 AM.png

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It sounds like more of a software than hardware issue, since it happens on multiple keyboards. There may be some form of System Preferences... > Keyboard settings or key mapping set. Also, check to make sure the language is set properly in System Preferences... > Keyboard > Input Sources.

We'll see if we can figure this out,

C

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I've followed through to keyboard input sources and it shows a keyboard with all letters and symbols present.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

I wonder if it could have something to do with Mouse Keys: Control the pointer using Mouse Keys

Mouse Keys uses those exact keys to move the mouse, and it states "When Mouse Keys is on, you can’t use the keyboard or numeric keypad to enter text."

C

Reaction score
I have unchecked mouse keys but still cannot get response from that block of keys. I am learning more as I go along, accessibility features are amazing.

Reaction score
It does seem significant that that that particular block of keys is unresponsive on both my keyboards.All keys work when I sign in with my password after smc and nvram but not otherwise

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hmmm...I still think it is Mouse Keys, since those are the exact keys that it takes control of.

Maybe try toggling Mouse Keys on/off by tapping the Option/Alt key five times...that is another way to change that setting.

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK...

Can you sign in as the Guest User, or another user you may have on the Mac? Sometimes if it works in another user, we can narrow down the issue to a preference list for your user. If it still has the issue, then it is a system-wide issue.

C

Reaction score
One month of frustration now history. I opened accessibility unchecked sticky keys and now have full use of my keyboard. Lesson learned and thanks for all your suggestions.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Ahhh...glad you figured it out.

Didn't think of Sticky Keys, as the keys that weren't working were the exact ones for Mouse Keys.

Guess we both learned, and so glad it's resolved after all this time since Nov.

Stay healthy and safe.

C

Ask a Question