backlight keyboard shortcut for imac?

Reaction score
I have a customer that brought her powerpc imac in and told me that it woudln't start up. She said it would go on for a few seconds but then the screen would go black.

I hooked her mac up at my place and it worked fine, booted up, was able to log in with no problems. I did some checks on it and everything looked good and so I returned it to her.

She then brought it home, plugged it all in again, hit the power button, the backlight came on, played the os x startup music, then the screen went black again. She said it looks like she can see an image on the monitor but the backlight turns off after the first few seconds.

Is there a shortcut on the keyboard to turn the backlight on/off on imac's? I'm a little confused by this since it worked fine at my place, and obviously it's getting power at her place because she here's the music and it turns on, just no backlight after the first few seconds of boot up.

Reaction score
It sounds like based on what you said that "backlight" is meant to be the screen brightness. I don't know what keyboard your friend has, but if it's an Apple keyboard, one of the F keys should be to increase/decrease the screen brightness. Also, the brightness is affected by whether the computer is plugged in or running on batteries. To check those settings, your friend should look at System preferences > Energy Saver.

Ask a Question