SOLVED Macbook pro 2015 Retina Display showing coloured vertical lines sometimes

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 2015 Macbook Pro that randomly has vertical lines blocking the screen. The external display still works with the HDMI port and the keyboard etc. are still functional however the screen is unusable. (Pictures below)
This doesn't always happen and the mac can work for a few months before this happens again.
Has anybody seen this before? Could it be a faulty screen or connector?

Cheers
ut5u2o3hsiz41.jpg

28BHNTI.jpeg

Reaction score
This sounds like the problem I had earlier in the year.
I have a a 2016 (December) MacBook Pro, well out of both warranty and AppleCare. The screen had stopped working though the laptop was performing normally on my plugged-in remote screen.
I called the Apple help line (10 March) and was directed to Nathan in Florida; I am in the south of England. Nathan said that the problem was possibly with the cable connecting keyboard to lid. A visit to the Southampton store was arranged.
Immediately the fault was diagnosed as typical of early MBPs. The machine was taken in for a F.O.C. repair (replacement of lid/screen). I collected the MBP on Thursday, all working as normal.
Sounds like you have a similar problem though whether you could receive such good Apple (store) service at the present would seem not very likely.

Reaction score
So this has turned out to not be a physical issue, it comes and goes but appears to be an nvram or SMC Issue, both of which can be reset.

Ask a Question