Locking Or password protecting a file...

Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering how I can go about password protecting certain folders on my computer, or if that is even an option?

I have a password on my computer that protects someone from getting on it if I put it to sleep and so on... but not if it happens to be sitting here and someone comes to it and wants to open a file.

I use my computer at work and home, so sometimes it just sits open on my desk.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Lany :)

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Lany,

can you tell us what version of OS X you are currently using ?

This will help us to give you the best options...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Ric said:
Hi Lany,

can you tell us what version of OS X you are currently using ?

This will help us to give you the best options...

regards

Ric

I'm using version 10.3.9 :)

Ric

Reaction score
Lany said:
... but not if it happens to be sitting here and someone comes to it and wants to open a file.

I use my computer at work and home, so sometimes it just sits open on my desk.

Thanks Lany, the version helps...

Tiger (10.4) has something called Filevault which will do exactly what you want built in...maybe when/if you upgrade...this will help. This would be your best bet ! (Panther also has FileVault but it causes lots of problems !)

The simplest way is to do what you are already doing...by using the screen saver to protect the whole computer when you leave it. (this isn't very secure but it prevents casual prying eyes !)

Either set a hot corner and try and get into the habit of moving the mouse before you leave your desk, or set the screen saver to a hot key, or shorten the time before it kicks in.

There are lost of programs some free and some commercial that will do what you want, but most of them rely on you 'doing' something to lock them before leaving your desk...so it's possibly easier just to set the screensaver going.

A simple way of hiding any file or folder is by adding a . to the front of the name. This will make the file or folder invisible. This has to be done via the Terminal, if you're not one to delve into the Terminal then HideOut does the same thing.

Every program that I can think of requires you to 'do something' before leaving your Mac...if thats the case, then from what you've said they will be of no use !

Would you just like to protect 'private' folders from casual observers, whilst still allowing them access to other files on your Mac ? ie password protect all your iPhoto pictures so that someone having a sneaky look on your Mac...would not be able to see that folder...

If that is the case you could...before leaving for work open TinkerTool and Tell it to show hidden and system files/folders....then you can change the folders that you don't want anyone to see... add a . before the name, then go back to TinkerTool and deselect 'show hidden and system files/folders' then click on the relaunch Finder button. Now when you go to work those folders are hidden...don't mess around with any of the other files/folders that you see, as you may end up corrupting the system software.

The pics below show...creating a hidden folder...you can then add in to it your private files and the casual observer will not be able to see the folder...

Before you start Tinkering....make sure all your data is well backed up, I know it might sound daft but if you hide something to well or something goes wrong then you will have lost your data !!!

regards

Ric

Attachments

• Finder001.jpg
    Finder001.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 458
  • Finder002.jpg
    Finder002.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 446
  • Finder003.jpg
    Finder003.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 517
  • Finder004.jpg
    Finder004.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 444
  • Finder005.jpg
    Finder005.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 421

Ric

Reaction score
Another way...

You can open Disk Utility on your Mac and create a virtual disk...any size you want...create as per the pics below...then you can add file to it remove them etc.

Then when going to work, eject/unmount the disk, and all your files will be left in the disk image file that can only be opened by entering your password...

Don't add it to your keychain !

regards

Ric

Attachments

• Disk Utility001.jpg
    Disk Utility001.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 456
  • Disk Utility002.jpg
    Disk Utility002.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 447
  • Disk Utility003.jpg
    Disk Utility003.jpg