New to the wonderful world of Mac

Reaction score
Hello and thanks for the add!

I’ve been a MS user since the days of MS DOS, I finally took a bite from the apple and am hooked!

I’ve been using an iPhone for the last three years (was a diehard Android guy) and love my phone and iPad so much I bought a used 2015 MacBook Pro, love it! Now I have to buy a desktop, any used suggestions?
Best wishes to all!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I guess it would depend on your usage and budget. You could actually use the MacBook Pro as a desktop in closed-display mode, if you connect an external display and keyboard/mouse/trackpad.

C

Reaction score
Sincere thanks for your reply Cory!
I’m a moderate user, my budget is around 1k, I had looked at a 2014 iMac as well as a Mini but am concerned about future security updates. I have friends running older iMacs, Mini’s and Pros, none seem very concerned about updates and they’re all running older OS’s.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

The newest Macs I have are a 2009 iMac running High Sierra and a 2009 Mac mini running El Capitan. They are both running flawlessly, but are limited to security updates available for those versions of OS X/macOS, and some current software application versions are not compatible. The normal Apple hardware support window is 5 years. Currently, Catalina is supported on Macs back to most 2012 models.

Keep that in mind when looking for an iMac or Mac mini. Not sure what models will be supported in the forthcoming macOS 10.16.

C

Reaction score
Hi,

but am concerned about future security updates.
I run a mid 2010 MacBook last of the beautiful nice white ones and 2018 MacBook pro. The 2010 running High Sierra does sometimes take a while now to restart after a security update the last of which was on the 3rd of June version 10.13.6. But truth to tell it just purrs along fine only thing I have done is put 8GB of Ram in.

Always thought about an iMac but just like portability, although do have a lovely 2008 G5 but software is hard to find for it now.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 20.37.03.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 20.37.03.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:

Ask a Question