downloading sierra

Reaction score
if sierra is downloaded into external ssd ( boot drive ) for delivery into empty i mac hd will the download be just a file to be opened or will it replace el capitan in the ssd and will there be any problems wiping sierra and returning to external ssd ( el capitan )
thanks
d

Last edited:
Reaction score
The file will be a download, named "Install macOS Sierra", and it should be downloaded to the Applications folder on your external SSD. Just don't have it launch by itself after the download is complete. The next thing you should do is make a copy of it in another folder/location on your external SSD. Once you do that, you can double click on it, and do the clean, "virgin" installation of Sierra (should be V10.12.2) onto the internal drive on your iMac. Once that is complete, you'll be offered the opportunity, using Migration Assistant, to "migrate"/copy needed "stuff" from "somewhere" on your external SSD. Typically, that migration is done from a backup, but I do not know what you plan on doing. One thing, though, is that if you plan on doing such a migration, you need to insure that any third party apps you are using are compatible with Sierra. Myself, I did not "upgrade" (via a clean, virgin installation) from El Capitan to Sierra until November, as one of my third party apps, TechTool Pro, did not have an upgrade available for Sierra compatibility until then (I have 5 other third party apps that needed upgrades for Sierra compatibility, but they were available earlier (but still not when OS 10.12 first came out)).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Good. How does Sierra run?
so far not much difference ....siri, could be much better, expectation of just talking was not realistic, reminds one of early hand crank autos, had to turn the engine over to drive the car....seems as if apples bright, sparkly toy is more of a distraction ....somehow sierra feels like stepping into a shadow ........

Reaction score
I am not finding anything exciting in Sierra either. In fact, it seems to take up more memory, especially at start up. And startup is somewhat slower than El Capitan was, and at times, so is shut down.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
A good thing to slightly speed up Sierra on older Macs with older graphics: Check the box next to  > System Preferences... > Accessibility > Display > Reduce Transparency

C

Ask a Question