Downloading photos from Nokia (301) phone for New Years Day for dummies?

Reaction score
I know it's not a good day to be asking technical questions. But if I can in a reasonable time and without spending a day over it tomorrow send a photo to grandparents of their grandson that I took when he was less than 24 h old, it would be nice to do - and to do tomorrow, New Year's Day. :)

I have his photo and others on a Nokia 301 phone. I have in the past downloaded some on to another computer, but I can't remember how I did that and failed to do it today on the old computer which I have practically not touched for a year since I bought the Mac Retina notebook. I need to be able to download it onto this Mac.

I made some effort. First I found, first thing on a Google search, The Roadmap To Modern It Operations. To cut the usual long story short I couldn't make it work. I googled around and found an app specifically for Mac. It was supposed to be a miracle, but looking on the user comments 5/6 said it was rubbish and a waste of therir time. On further googling there were vast controversies I couldn't make head or tail of having to do with Microsoft having taken over some Nokia something or other which affects how you (...continued on page 94). And then I thought Nokia! Of course they must be the source have the solutions! I should've gone straight to them in the first place! But when I did it looks like Nokia is ashamed of this 301 phone and is trying to hide the fact it has anything to do with them; I could not find anything relevant on their site.

So I'm obliged to ask for a guidance, something simple I can just do without hassle. Preferably without having to register at any number of other sites like Yahoo, etc. But just use at most my normal Outlook email if unavoidable. Or at most the Google where I have an e mail account I don't much like and hardly use unless I have to.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I haven't read your post because your title succinctly asks a specific question which I'll answer ...

If you connect the phone to your computer using the USB cable that come with the phone, turn the phone's screen on and there should be a dialogue window open asking you how you wish to connect the phone, for charging, as an external hard drive etc ... if you can't see it then slide down from the top of the screen to display the options & look there for it ... choose the hard drive option which will show the phones icon on your Mac desktop. Double-click that icon then navigate to the photos or pictures folder, there might be a DCIM folder, look there for this photo then just drag it straight out onto your Desktop.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Thank you. When I connect the phone to the Mac I get a screen on the phone calling itself "USB Mode" that gives me the three options: modem mode; synch and connect; memory card.

Then what do I do?
(tried to go some way but achieved nothing).

Alternatively I have gone to Photos on the phone.. The only likely looking that way forward then iis Share, this gives me various options, via e buddy (??), Via mail which does not sound good idea, via Slam (??), Via Bluetooth (which it fails to detect although I have it on my Mac), via message which also does not sound good idea, and then More, which leads to "Now just sign in all create a Nokia account. Your phone will connect to the Internet for this." Continue. Preparing account. Wait a long time. "Operation failed. Try again." every time.

I see nothing on the Mac.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
USB Mode is basically charging,
Modem is to use your Mobile Phone's data plan to surf the internet on your Mac,
Sync & Connect sounds like it's intended for use in conjunction with a dedicated Nokia app for the exchange of files with your computer,
Memory Card is one I'm not familiar with but I can hazard a guess that you use this to access the files on the memory card ...​

If you can see the DCIM folder just drag & drop the photos onto your Mac's Desktop.

Or

Use Bluetooth after you first configure it on your Mac & Nokia.

Reaction score
Well it was the end of last year that I raised this problem, and it is only today I managed to download my photos onto Mac. I don't like it when I try to help ppl on the web, and get no answer so I owe this:

I could not make any suggestions nor anything I read on the web including Nokia's instructions work. I found a cable that fits the Nokia at one end then is USB on the other, and attached to the computer. this makes the phone light up, however I cannot see the phone on the computer e.g. in Finder. On some other forum I came across someone had suggested e-mail the photos. I had never used this phone for e-mail or browsing, I tried to set it up, it requires my email and its password. Put these in, nothing just went round and round. Didn't tell me password wrong or anything, just went round and round forever. OK this is not a subject for a Mac forum maybe, but just an example of the headbanging frustration. The Nokia also has a thing called e-buddy I have never heard of anywhere else and couldn't make head or tail of.

More relevant to Mac, I thought how about Bluetooth? Well the phone recognises my Mac and my iPad, These two devices recognise the phone. But I haven't been able to do anything with that, when I tried to I get messages like "connecting to evennewerbie's MacBook …. Service is not supported by other device”. A man from Applecare said in fact you can't use them for a phone like mine. :(

Today I asked myself, hell some of my phone photos are in my computer photo files - so I could do it before, why not now? Then it dawned on me, doh, you were using a different computer! So I took out my old cheapo Acer laptop I haven't used for year and a half, connected the phone to it, and my reflexes were a bit rusty but it worked a treat! After downloading the photos to the computerI attached the pen drive where I also keep copies of my photos, and drag-and-dropped the file my Nokia collection onto that. And OH WHAT A PLEASURE that was! Windows type drag-and-drop! Mac's idea of drag-and-drop seems to be like if you hired a removals firm to move house, and you organise all your stuff neatly into labelled boxes, then when you get to your new house they have tipped everything out of the boxes onto the floor. Tell me if there's something I've missed. So then I attached the pen drive to the Mac, tipped it on the floor and gathered it up again in a new box but at least it's there now.

So I guess the message is: if you change from PC to mac, don't throw away the old PC. Not a 100% solution as it will only work when I am at home base but 95% for me.

Ask a Question