Downloading issues

Reaction score
I recently acquired a Lombard Powerbook G3 333Mhz 6Gb which had been tweaked via Powerlogix to G4 500Mhz 55Gb 380Mb running OS x.3.9. It's a bit slow but otherwise fantastic except... It has a third party Firewall and anti-virus running on it - does it really need it?

Also I'm unable to download Realplayer or Adobe Acrobat to the machine - I suspect the antivirus is blocking - although when I switch everything off I still get no joy - any suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks,

Feeling klutzy,

Mark

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
AFAIK, you don't need those 3rd Party apps. You can just drag them to your Trash to remove them from the system.

Try downloading RP and AA and let me know how it goes.

Reaction score
Hi Spawn,

Thanks for the reply. I did yank the 3rd party apps but still no joy. I think that part of the problem is that I'm running OS X.3.9 with Safari 1.3.? However, I can't find a newer version of Safari which will run on Panther.

I downloaded Firefox (latest version) with no problems using IE :eek: (really old version) but neither Firefox nor IE will successfully pull down Adobe or Realplayer - which is a bummer.

I even tried downloading the apps to another machine (iMac DV G3 400Mhz 10 Gb OS X.4.9) and transferring the files but no joy there either.

If you've any suggestions I'd sure welcome them.

Yours exasperatedly,

Mark :eek:

Reaction score
Loads - the drive is partitioned and there is 2.5Gb available on one disk and 40+Gb available on the other!

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
This is the version of Adobe Reader you need for your OS version:

Adobe Reader 7

I'm still looking for Real Player for you ... OK just found a version that'll work with Panther:

Real Player 10.1.0.490

Your version of Safari should be fine ... let me know if you can't download from those links ...

Reaction score
Hi Spawn,

Thanks for trying - but I found both those sites already and I still get a "cannot create file" message.

HoHum,

Mark

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Try creating another user account and see if the problem persists there too. It'll clear up whether it's a System wide issue or just a User Account issue...

Reaction score
Okey-dokey,

I'll give it a shot - but it's been a long day here in NZ and I'm going to unwind - I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Thanks again,

Mark

Ask a Question