Disable GPU on a1706

Reaction score
My macbook pro does boot in safe mode, but gpu fails in normal mode. How can I disable the discrete GPU?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

The A1706 models are:
-MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
-MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)

They have Intel Iris Graphics 550/Intel Iris Plus Graphics 560 integrated graphics respectively, but no discrete graphics chip like some of the previous MacBook Pro (A1707) models did. So, there isn't the option to switch between graphics processors.

It sounds like there may be some software that loads in normal mode that is affecting things if safe mode works. What items are set to load as login items?

C

Reaction score
OK this is weird... I have a 2017 version of the a1706. The internal screen was damage, so I replaced my screen and thought I might have ruined the gpu. You can see the anomalies on the image in attachment. The anomalies also appear on my external screen (through usb c). Touchbar shows, but doesn't respond to touches anymore. Safe mode works perfect. I did a complete new install of Catalina (downgrade from big sur) but it persists. Anomalies start before macos is completely started. All goes fine for the first few seconds when the Mac logo appears. It disappears and comes back, this time with the anomalies. I deactivated all startups services (system preferences - accounts) . Mac freezes seconds after complete boot.

Reaction score
I have a high Sierra partition. Same anomalies.

Attachments

• IMG_20210321_154503_edit_323943607143277.jpg
    IMG_20210321_154503_edit_323943607143277.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 80

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

Yes, it could be some form of electrostatic or other damage when the screen replacement was done, especially since it shows on an external display, the Touch Bar doesn't work, and the MBP is freezing.

Without being able to have hands-on, it would be difficult to know for sure. You may need a logic board swap as well, but also cannot be confirmed remotely.

C

Reaction score
Strange the safe mode works perfect. Any chance I could use the graphics settings from the safe mode? A logic board swap is not worth the money I guess

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No, Safe Mode simply starts up the Mac with the basic necessities for troubleshooting. I believe the driver is the same for Safe Mode and normal mode.

Because safe mode works, it really sounds like some software or other added driver that is causing the issue. Or, the LCD panel isn't an Apple OEM module, which may not be fully compatible.

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK

It may not be the panel then, but thus the thought that there is possibly some third-party software and or logic board issue.

Startup in Safe Mode and look in  > System Preferences... > Users & Groups > your user > Login Items. Also, do you happen to have an external drive with OS X/macOS installed that you could startup from?

C

Ask a Question