Disable Automatic Read Receipt Requests

Reaction score
Dear all,
I can only assume, that most of you will probably refer me to view the step by step manuals to disable automatic read receipt requests. The problem is, I've seen the most of those already. Something is not working properly for me, because I am not able to turn the feature off. Here are some additional information on my issue:

How did it start:
- I have used the Terminal where I have entered the following: defaults write com.apple.mail UserHeaders '{"Disposition-Notification-To" = "Name <email address"; }'
- I have used a certain name and a certain email address.
- the solution worked for me

After a while a wanted to stop it, so:
- I have used the Terminal where I have entered the following: defaults delete com.apple.mail UserHeaders
- Terminal reply was: Domain (com.apple.mail) not found. Defaults have not been changed.

The problem is, that for every mail I am sending out using my Mac Mail, there is a delivery receipt request popping out at the recipients outlook client. I want to stop this, but do not know how, since the general process does not work for me.

In addition I also wanted to check what is set in my defaults for com.apple.mail and this is what happened (I assume this is not OK):
- I did put this into Terminal: defaults read com.apple.mail
- This is the reply from Terminal: Domain com.apple.mail does not exist

- I did put this into Terminal: defaults read com.apple.mail UserHeaders
- This is the reply from Terminal: The domain/default pair of (com.apple.mail, UserHeaders) does not exist

- Also when the recipients are asked to confirm the mail delivery, the request does not say to which email address the confirmation will be send. I guess this is also not normal. Anyway I want to get rid of this Read Receipt Requests.

Last but not least I assume there is something wrong with the "pls" file (I think it is called pls) - is there any way on how to rebuild/restore it?

Can you please help me on this one?

Thank you in advance for your help

Cheers,

Igor

Reaction score
You could use the 'Nuclear' option and completely reinstall the mail app. (after backing up your data)

Reaction score
You could use the 'Nuclear' option and completely reinstall the mail app. (after backing up your data)
If I am not mistaken, this would mean to reinstall the mac completely, because you can not reinstall just the mail app. Or? Thank you

Ask a Question