SOLVED Changing the Default open with does not work

Reaction score
Hi All

I am having a strange error with Monterey 12.6.2. Since the original update to Monterey may files open with the original mac default application. If I go into the files properties and change it the the application I want to use it still opens with the mac default. As an example I have set .docx files to open with word, it displays under the file properties that it will open with word but instead opens with TextEdit.

1673600833139.png

1673600860446.png

Any idea what could be causing this? With .mp4 file it wants to open with books, when I change the default application to VLC, hit change all as soon as I hit continue on the pop-up dialogue it reverts back to books?
1673601029529.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Looks like you need to rebuild Launch Services in macOS. The easiest way to do this is to download the venerable freeware utility, Onyx. You need to get the version for the macOS version you are running.

When you first launch Onyx, you will be asked to enter your admin password. When the window opens, click on Maintenance.

Screen Shot 2023-01-13 at 05.56.45.png

The default system maintenance tasks should be selected, and it should not hurt to run them all as is, but if you are in a great rush, you can turn off the rest and just leave “Launch Services database” on. Or you can turn on other tasks like “Spotlight index” that you think you will want rebuilt.

Ask a Question