SOLVED Changing Mac Mail server setting - problems

Reaction score
I'm having separate problems changing mail server info on my two Mac Airs.

Laptop #1 is from 2021. #2 is from 2019. Both are up to date on Monterey.

The hosting service I use migrated to a new server this past week. I have new server settings to install on the Macs to continue to get my email. Here's what's happening:

On laptop #1, I was able to make the change just fine. But a second, inactive email account by the same name shows up in my list of accounts on both the Mail app and in iCloud. I followed directions to delete it in my iCloud account - which should make same email address, bottom of the list, greyed out and inactive. Fortunately, I'm getting my email on the original account that I changed the settings on. So in this case, it's just a mystery and an irritant.

Much worse on laptop #2. I pull up the server settings, change the relevant info, then hit save. I get an error message popup saying an IMAP account already exists, and i can only have one. Presumably, that means I can only have one *under the same email address*, although that's not how it's worded. That same mysterious inactive account materializes at the bottom of the lists. Meanwhile, the original account still has the old server settings.

Every time I try to save the new server settings, the new inactive account shows up, and I get the error message. I go to my accounts in iCloud. I delete the new ghost account. Lather, rinse, repeat. I've been unable to get my mail on that laptop for the last few days.

Please help?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Sorry for the delayed response.
  • First off - have you contacted your hosting/email provider's support?
  • Is all of your mail stored on your provider's email server (IMAP), or have you downloaded some email to folders only on your Mac? i.e. if you login to a webmail site, can you see all of your email?
  • Sometimes it is easier to simply delete the email account from Internet Accounts, then set it up again, instead of changing the server settings.
C

Reaction score
Cory, hi and thanks! Something odd happened - I reopened my Air, and there was the account, active and working on Mac #2. I have no idea why; I hadn't touched anything since my last effort hadn't worked. Bingo, shazaam, there it is.

Mac 1 - I'll just leave the dead account sitting there for now, and tackle it when I'm ready to face it again. At least it's just sitting there, not bothering me. Much.

Thanks so much for your time!

Ask a Question