Catalina on Unsupported 2010 iMac

Reaction score
I used DosDude1's Mojave patches last year on my iMac, and it ran like a beauty with nary a hitch.

When I saw he'd come up with another patch set in order to get Catalina to run on my unsupported iMac, I thought why not? Mojave was splendid.

There was a notice posted on DosDude1's website which said there were issues with AMD/ATI Radeon 5xxx and 6xxx GPUs, which I do not have.

• AMD/ATI Radeon HD 5xxx and 6xxx series graphics acceleration: Currently, it is not possible to achieve full graphics acceleration under Catalina on any machines that use a Radeon HD 5xxx or 6xxx series GPU. If you have a machine with one of these GPUs installed, I'd advise upgrading it if possible (can be done in 2010/2011 iMacs, iMac11,x-12,x), disabling the dedicated GPU if using a 2011 15" or 17" MacBook Pro (MacBookPro8,2/8,3, instructions to do so can be found here), or not installing Catalina. Running Catalina without full graphics acceleration will result in extremely poor system performance.
My issue is with Photos. I can open any of my albums and see a window full of thumbnails, but when I double-click any picture to get a big version, I get this:

Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 5.37.48 AM.jpg

Is this something I'm going to have to live with? Or does anyone know how to get around this?

My iMac runs wonderfully other than this, even though I realized that Catalina isn't supposed to run on this machine. Medical issues this year have caused me to wrack up so many bills, a newer iMac is out of the question for the foreseeable future.

I'd deeply appreciate any advice, comments, admonitions, sermons, or whatever.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

Not sure, as I have never used those patches. Best thing would probably be to contact him directly, as he would know the most about it.

Sorry,

C

Reaction score
I used DosDude1's Mojave patches last year on my iMac, and it ran like a beauty with nary a hitch.

When I saw he'd come up with another patch set in order to get Catalina to run on my unsupported iMac, I thought why not? Mojave was splendid.

There was a notice posted on DosDude1's website which said there were issues with AMD/ATI Radeon 5xxx and 6xxx GPUs, which I do not have.

• AMD/ATI Radeon HD 5xxx and 6xxx series graphics acceleration: Currently, it is not possible to achieve full graphics acceleration under Catalina on any machines that use a Radeon HD 5xxx or 6xxx series GPU. If you have a machine with one of these GPUs installed, I'd advise upgrading it if possible (can be done in 2010/2011 iMacs, iMac11,x-12,x), disabling the dedicated GPU if using a 2011 15" or 17" MacBook Pro (MacBookPro8,2/8,3, instructions to do so can be found here), or not installing Catalina. Running Catalina without full graphics acceleration will result in extremely poor system performance.
My issue is with Photos. I can open any of my albums and see a window full of thumbnails, but when I double-click any picture to get a big version, I get this:

View attachment 3480

Is this something I'm going to have to live with? Or does anyone know how to get around this?

My iMac runs wonderfully other than this, even though I realized that Catalina isn't supposed to run on this machine. Medical issues this year have caused me to wrack up so many bills, a newer iMac is out of the question for the foreseeable future.

I'd deeply appreciate any advice, comments, admonitions, sermons, or whatever.
Rather than live with that, I'd revert to High Sierra.

Ask a Question