Time Machine Restore Recommendation, El Capitan to Catalina

Reaction score
I’ve got a current Time Machine backup from my now dead 2011 17” MBP that was running 10.11.6. Is it a good idea to use this backup to load my data files and apps onto a new MBP running Catalina? Concerned about the of compatibility of Time Machine going from one version to another.

Thanks!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

You can use that Time Machine backup with Catalina. However, many of the applications that you had may not work or need to be upgraded for use within Catalina, since it is a 64-bit only operating system. You could simply migrate only your user data, and reinstall any applications. Time Machine is smart enough to not migrate any system files.

Feel free to give us a list of any software applications and their version that you remember, and we'll let you know if they will be compatible.

C

Reaction score
I’ve got the Apple IWork package, Quicken for money management, and a basic Microsoft Office package (Word, Excel, PP) that is quite dated but was still working. I’m guessing the Microsoft S/W will be a problem. This computer also has Parallels and an old Windows version I needed when I was programming. I’m retired now and don’t need that. It’s probably best if I transfer everything over manually because I don’t want to bring over Parallels and the Windows partition if I can help it. I’m afraid Time Machine restore, data files only, might still bring over Windows stuff I don’t want.

I’m sure I can download a new Quicken version from them. I’ll look into Microsoft Office. I have the CD’s for Office and iWorks, which won’t be of any use on a new MBP. How does Apple track software licensing, Apple ID? Will I be able to download the 64 bit versions on my existing iWorks license. Not sure how that works.

Thanks

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

The iWork applications are now free. You can simply login with your Apple ID to the App Store, accept the free licenses to associate them with your Apple ID, then download them.

Quicken will probably need a purchased upgrade, as well as Microsoft Office. If you are running Quicken 2007 or before and Microsoft Office 2011 or before, you will definitely need to purchase newer current versions.

You may be able to get upgrade pricing on Parallels, depending on your version. If you don't need it any longer, I wouldn't worry about it, since you may have to purchase a Windows update as well.

It can be a bit tricky to manually pull your data out of a Time Machine backup.

Hope that helps,

C

Reaction score
That helps. I‘m going to pull the SSD drive out of my broken MBP. I already have an USB adaptor cable that will allow me to connect it to the new Mac and pull my data files off. I won’t have to use the backup files with that method.

Thanks!

Ask a Question