Does a time machine backup restore EVERYTHING?

Reaction score
Like, if I did the thing where you wipe the disk and overwite it as many times as you can(You know, the thing to make your computer's files unrecoverable) if you use time machine with an external hard drive, does your time machine backup restore your computer to the exact same way it was before?

Reaction score
Let me please, from my eternal newbie point of view, tell you what I think regarding time machine reliability.
Briefly, I would say it works fine. Until you really need it. It's a little bit like insurance companies : they protect you from everything, except what actually happens.

After a severe crash, my main (boot) HD needed to be restored. I had no fear : everything was kept safe in my time capsule by my trustworthy time machine.
The result was not as expected. Not only my HD was not restored (although it had spent a whole night working), but all the previous backups had mysteriously disappeared from the backup volume.
Hasta la vista, is what I had to say to all those files, musics, photos and films.

So my answer would spontaneousty : NO it doesn't. It is only supposed to.
In other words : it is pure ****.

My post might be totally useles, but it feels good to tell.

Ask a Question