Macbook Pro laptop Catalina question....

Reaction score
Hello all, I am new to this forum and have a confusing problem with a used Macbook Pro laptop that I recently purchased....
I have 2 external hard drives that I used to hold a large amount of files that I need to work with, and often have to leave the external drives connected to the laptop for hours, but my new laptop keeps unmounting the external drives randomly, and then will not allow me to mount them back in the disk utility application.
I have screenshots showing this, but cannot attach them here because the file size it too large for this forum, so I will try and explain what is happening as it is too late to get in contact with Apple Support for help, and their community forums are worthless.
So, I connected my external drive to the laptop, using the usb port, and it lights up the drive, showing that it is connected. Then I needed to play several video files that are on the external drive, which took about an hour. Then out of nowhere, I get a pop up message pon the desktop telling me to be careful to properly eject the device before removing it. Except I never tried to remove it, the laptop did that on its own for some reason. So, I removed the USB cord, and then plugged it back in, the external drive lights came on, and it is plugged into the laptop, but the laptop has set it as unmounted now. As such, the external drive is no longer accessible in any way. I tried to shutdown, and reboot the computer back to the desktop, but it is the same thing. So, I tried opening the Disk Utility application, to look for the external drive, and it does show up there, but it says not mounted. So, I clicked on Mount, to mount the drive,but it comes back with an error saying it failed to mount the drive. The error being returned from the Disk Utility says 'com.apple.DiskManagement.disenter error 0.' I have no clue why this is happening, but I think it may have to do with my recent upgrade from Mojave to the newer Catalina operating system.
Can anyone please explain to me why this might happen, and Thanks in advance!!

PS. Could some also tell me how to post screenshots in the forum, because
file size too large is something i have never seen before with a screenshot??

Reaction score
Hello again all, I seemed to have fixed this problem, although I still am not sure what caused it to begin with....
I kept try to mount the external drive in the Disk Utility screen, and kept closing the error messages that popped up, until it finally mounted the drive properly!!

I would still like to know how to attach a screenshot to a post here though....

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which exact model MacBook Pro?
-Are the drives bus-powered or do they have a AC adapter?

This issue can happen with multiple portable bus-powered drives connected, especially if the MBP is running on battery. It can also depend on what Energy Saver settings you have.

I am not sure what the file size limits are set to here. I would guess it is the pixel dimensions, not the actual file size in MB that is causing your upload issue. Try adjusting the image to something like 960x600 and try uploading again.

C

Ask a Question