Macbook Pro 2019 Catalina cursor stuttering

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a Macbook Pro 2019 version with OS Catalina, the following problem:

When I move the mouse pointer with the trackpad, it stutters/jump from time to time. It is then that the cursor gets stuck for a split second / milisecond. If I switch between many tabs and move the cursor a lot, it happens every 30-60 seconds.

I have rebuilt the system before, but I still have the problems. I have the feeling that it has something to do with the graphics card, but that's really just a feeling.

Is there anyone who has a tip?

Many greetings,

Sebastian

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Normally, cursor stuttering is more of a software issue. I doubt it is related to the graphics card. Some process may be hogging the CPU, causing it to pause/stutter/skip.

You could use Activity Monitor to watch what is happening when the issue occurs. Also, thing like MacKeeper/CleanMyMac/antivirus can cause system slowness and issue like this.

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory and thanks for the feedback. So would you recommend that I uninstall some software and then check if that issue continues? I have Avast as anti virus software, I dont have MacKeeper or CleanMyMac.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

Yes, it may be a good test to uninstall Avast, or at least disable any real-time scanning settings. It could also be related to any other software that loads at login -  > System Preferences... > Users & Groups > your user > Login Items.

Other good suggestions - restart your Mac every day, and keep the number of running applications low, especially resource-hungry applications like Photoshop, Logic/Final Cut, etc.

C

Ask a Question