2014 MacBook Pro Power Cable?

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a silly question. I have a 2014 16GB 512GB 13 inch MBP.
I need to keep it powered for 10 hours a day over the next couple of days and do not want to not drain the battery. I will be conducting video conferences. I have the Mag Safe Charging Cable and another heavier cable with a three pronged plug that came with it. This heavier cable clips onto the MagSafe Charging block when the prong is removed. Is that heavier cord an extension cord or does it just power the computer without affecting charging? I am confused. For the purpose of keeping the computer plugged in do I just plug the Mag Safe Block or add the heavier cable to it and plug that in?? Please help!! I have never used that heavier cable and don’t know what it is for.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

That is just an extension cable to give your AC adapter extra length. You can definitely use it with/without the extension cable. The little removable part is called a duck head. You can leave it connected to AC power with either connection for as long as you need, as the AC adapter brick will automatically go into low, trickle charge mode when the battery is fully charged.

Hope that helps,

C

Ask a Question