CATALINA RAID 0

Reaction score
I WANT TO REMOVE THE OPTICAL DRIVE ON MY mid-2012 Macbook Pro AND REPLACE IT WITH AND ADDITIONAL 500GB SSD? CAN I RAID 0 BOTH DRIVES AND CLONE MY CURRENT OS TO THEM AND KEEP MY PARALLELS VM?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Normally, this isn't a recommended upgrade/configuration. The drive and optical drive busses support different SATA revisions/speeds. RAID 0 is good for speed, but if there are any issues, you will lose all data.

-Which version of OS X/macOS?
-Is there a specific need for a RAID 0 setup?
-Are you low on free space currently?

C

Reaction score
Iam currently running Catalina 10.15.4
I want to increase increase speed
No I am not low on space.
I just wanted to know if if will improve the performance and overall experience with my MBP or not.
If so which RAID format would be best? I want to keep me Parallels VM as well

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, understood.

I am not sure that any noticeable speed increase would be worth the effort/cost with that scenario. SSDs are more than fast enough for most tasks. Processor speed and RAM have more affect on processor-intensive tasks like audio/video, 3D/CAD, and the like than SSD/storage speed. I would doubt you would see much increase in speed by added a RAID 0 for 95% of your Mac use.

C

Reaction score
Ok. If I choose to go the RAID route, would I be able to keep me Parallels VM? I've heard there is a possibility i would lose that function

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Yes, you should be able to keep the VM, as long as you have a full backup of everything before creating the RAID. It may give a few errors at first start of the VM, because it may detect that it is on a different drive. Parallels has good documentation about "moving" a virtual machine.

C

Ask a Question