Not able to update to macOS Catalina

Reaction score
Hi,
I just recently formatted my Macbook Pro late 2012, and now I have OS X Version 10.8.5 - Tried to upgrade to macOS Catalina through Appstore, but it states that I need to have macOS 10.9 or newer. Does also receive an error when trying to update iTunes

Downloaded an .iso file from: "https://isoriver.com/mac-os-x-mavericks-10-9-iso-dmg-image/" - But nothing is available/happens when I try to run the file.
Most likely i'm doing something wrong, can someone guide me?

Here's a demonstration: https://gofile.io/?c=R1tmzh

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Upgrading to Catalina requires a Mac running OS X 10.9.x Mavericks as the App Store message stated. iTunes won't update, because your version of OS X isn't supported with that version of iTunes.

The ISO file you downloaded is actually an illegal copy of OS X Mavericks. Apple only distributes legal copies via their App Store.

The best option would be to upgrade to macOS 10.12 Sierra first this way: How to upgrade to macOS Sierra. Once that is complete, you will be able to update to Catalina and iTunes will be updated automatically along the way.

As always, it is strongly recommended to have a current Time Machine or other backup of your data before upgrading/updating your Mac.

Stay healthy and safe.

C

Reaction score
Hello,

Yeah, did not realise that before you point it out.. Was sort of in a hurry, so didn't think of what i was downloading, just clicked on one of the first links that came up when searshing "download macOS 10.9"

Thank you for the responds - Had no problem downloading it from the official site.

Ask a Question