Findnig files from apps on shared folder Catalina os

Reaction score
Hello

I am connecting from Imac (catalina OS) to new macmini (catlaina OS ) which i am using for server with AFP protocol.

On new mac mini i share folder with AFP preferences and a lot of files inside.

Connection is ok no problem

When i search from Imac in finder i can find the files with no problem.

But when i go to some applications like Illustrator or some other apps, searching trough network on connected drive (shared folder on new macmini) there is no result

On older macmini that has older system installed, not new catalina there is no problem finding files from finder or from applications.
Sharing preferences is same as on new one

Any clue what could i missed or there is some more pref. to work with Catalina OS.

Thanks

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

AFP is slowly being deprecated in favor of SMB, and it isn't supported at all with APFS formatted drives. That may be why you can still see files on those older Macs, since they are using HFS/HFS+ volumes. I believe Apple made SMB the default file protocol in OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion.

I would try enabling SMB and see if that resolves the issue.

C

Reaction score
I have to make new partition with mas os juornaled so i can connect with AFP.
I try to copy some of the files on primary partition APFS and connect with smb but the result is still the same,only everything is more slow.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

-What do you mean by "I have to make new partition with mas os juornaled so i can connect with AFP"?
-Is there a specific reason you need to use AFP instead of SMB?
-After enabling SMB, try restarting both Macs. Also, it may be best to disable AFP, and only have SMB enabled.

C

Reaction score
you cannot connect with afp if you have AFPS disk partition that came with Catalina.

SMB is slow and when you search or save trough SMB its lagging.

I already tried to connect only trough SMB and its the same only slower than AFP.

Finder find all files no problem on both protocols, but in applications when you search shared network drive dont find nothing that is strange on AFP or SMB.

Ask a Question