Can't install Safari v.3

Reaction score
My iMac G5, 2 gig PPC, 512 gb, runs OS X 10.4 with Safari v.2. After having a few problems with the browser quitting unexpectedly and having problems with eBay links I decided to download Safari v.3 direct from the Apple site and not the Software Updater. It took nearly 3 hours (I'm on dial-up still) but when I tried to install it from my desk top to the HD I had the message pop up 'this volume does not meet the requirements for the update'. Should I put the files in the trash and download Safari 10.4.1.1 via the updater as this includes Safari 3 or will the upddater use the Safari files I have already downloaded? Or should I change to Firefox? Sorry to ask so many Q's! Any answers would be gratefully received as I am computer illiterate. Thanks.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

I would pop those files in the bin...

Then reboot from your OS install Disk and run Disk Utilities--> Repair disk and then Repair permissions then reboot and download via software updater and see how you get on.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks Ric, I'll try it and see what happens when I've got a couple of hours to spare. Have been using one of those PCs in my local library to run my ebay page - Yuk! So glad I chose to join the family of Mac owners.

Reaction score
Thanks Ric, I have downloaded OS X 10.4.1 from Apple standalone installer (12 hours!) which includes Safari v.3, and everything is now working fine.

Ask a Question