can't install safari 3

Reaction score
I have OS 10.4.10 and I'm trying to upgrade to the Safari 3 beta. I downloaded it, but when I went to install it, it told me I didn't have enough room! I have about 48.7GB free and Safari 3 says it needs 42.8MB. What the heck?

Reaction score
What happens when you double click the .dgm file? Does Safari mount? Can you drag it into your Applications folder to simply replace the old version?

Reaction score
nothing happens when i drag the .dmg file into the applications folder. when i click on it there i get led to the same installer window that tells me i don't have enough space...

Reaction score
Try placing the dmg on your desktop (dmg's don't belong in the Applications folder) and double clicking it. :) P.S. Make sure that you empty the trash if you haven't done this for a while.

Reaction score
greenmay,

I think you misunderstood me when I said "drag it into your Applications." See my whole sentence: "Does Safari mount? Can you drag it into..." "It" refers to Safari, not the dmg file. Also, please notice Walrus666's suggestion.

Reaction score
forgive me, i'm still trying to learn how mac's work... the .dmg file has been on my desktop since i downloaded the upgrade and i emptied my trash yesterday. double clicking it was the first thing i tried. it opens a folder with safari3beta.pkg and safari3betaUninstall.pkg. i double-click safari3beta.pkg and it takes me to that install window that tells me i don't have enough room. i've been going around in circles with this thing....

Ric

Reaction score
Hi greenmay,

I would possibly throw that dmg etc away... and start again.

First run Repair Disk and Repair Permissions in Disk Utility.

(Applications-->Utilites-->Disk Utility)

Once this has done, redownload the Safari Beta and then double click the safari3beta.pkg to install, and see if it allows you to install it.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Ok, hopefully I did this right and you can see these screenshots. I did what you recommended, except that it did not allow me the option of "repair disk". I've taken pictures along the way of my progress because I'm sure you guys could decipher what it means much better than I can. I'm confused about what that second nameless disk is under the main one in disk utilities. It's probably really simple, but as you can tell, I'm new to this computer. When I redowloaded and tried to install safari again, it did the same thing, which I've pictured here.

1449579976_b81039271a.jpg
1448725103_f6a765c6e8.jpg

1448725437_c74425aa09.jpg

1449580340_df9dd37ba4_o.png

1449580238_729350891a.jpg

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

you are going to have to boot from the OS CD/DVD and then run Repair Disk from that.

Restart the Mac with disk in and hold down the c key, don't reinstall the OS just go to the menu and run Disk Utility.

Let us know if this works...if not you are going to either have to do an Archive & Install or try and fix the disk with a 3rd party App such as DiskWarrior.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi guys
I had exactly the same problem
but the solution was pretty simple
Safari wasn't in the applications folder (I've put it in a subfolder)
and that way the installation program couldn't find it
So hopefully that will solve it for you
grts

Reaction score
hey.. I had the EXACT same problem.. Tried too many different things.. none of them worked..
If you havent already.. this is what you need to do:
go to Software Update.. and choose 10.4.11 and install it.. Safari will be in your applications folder after that..
cheers..

Ask a Question