SOLVED Browser choice (on imac 27' 2010)

Tks

Reaction score
I see a fair few mac users with 'old' macs here and was wondering what browsers they were using.
After using Safari originally, I switched to Firefox, but would probably use Vivaldi if there was an iphone browser (which is coming soon).
When I test those browsers, Vivaldi usually loads pages faster, then Safari, then Firefox, but the difference is negligible.
The only big difference is my gf's 6 months' old PC, which is fast as lightning.
Sigh ...

Reaction score
I see a fair few mac users with 'old' macs here and was wondering what browsers they were using.
After using Safari originally, I switched to Firefox, but would probably use Vivaldi if there was an iphone browser (which is coming soon).
When I test those browsers, Vivaldi usually loads pages faster, then Safari, then Firefox, but the difference is negligible.
The only big difference is my gf's 6 months' old PC, which is fast as lightning.
Sigh ...
Brave was a pleasant surprise for me, and also available on iOS. It’s difficult to tell how quick it is compared to other browsers I use on my setup, but, depending on which one works the best for particular situations/sites, I also have Safari, Safari Technology Preview, Chrome, Firefox, Opera, MS Edge, plus a couple that I have loaded but rarely use.

Reaction score
I think that, for your older Mac, both Vivaldi and Brave are solid choices. Vivaldi is great for power users, and Brave stands out for its top-notch privacy and built-in ad blocker.
Personally, I'd go for Vivaldi. I've been using it for the past few months and it's been a pleasant experience so far. It doesn't load the device much and does what it's supposed to do well. I also like that it's built on Chromium, so it's compatible with a bunch of Chrome extensions, giving you lots of flexibility.
Here's a link if you wanna try https://vivaldi.com/download/. Better download it from the official website. Cheers!

Tks

Reaction score
Coming back on this thread a few months later to confirm Vivaldi does really suit me as a desktop browser. I just love the speed dials, workspaces and sidebar, which I first tested in Opera.
Vivaldi on iPhone is also a nice addition, although I still prefer Firefox for easy sync at this time, as workspaces don't seem to be syncing.
This being said, I originally ran into the "mac version too old, can't get Vivaldi 6", but for some reasons this got fixed, so maybe the syncing does not work with older systems? (I'm on imac 27 inches from mid 2010 with High Sierra)

Ask a Question