Setting Firefox as default browser

Reaction score
I need to change my default brower from Safari (which cannot open most windows) to Firefox. When I go into settings the dropdown menu for default browser is empty. Help! (I have an iMac with El Capitan 10.11.6)

Reaction score
I need to change my default brower from Safari (which cannot open most windows) to Firefox. When I go into settings the dropdown menu for default browser is empty. Help! (I have an iMac with El Capitan 10.11.6)
Are you trying to do the setting in Safari? Or in Firefox?

Try setting the default browser from System Preferences -> General -> Default web browser:

Your choices should list the web browsers installed on your Mac.

Screen Shot 2021-12-27 at 07.53.26.png

If this list comes up empty on your system, you probably have to reinstall El Capitan. But first try starting in Safe Mode and see what happens. It can be a conflict causing the list to show up empty.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Or, open Firefox on your Mac, go to (FireFox) preferences and choose FireFox as your default browser in the settings page that comes up.

Ask a Question