Audio Problem

Reaction score
Okay, here's my problem:

Yesterday, I noticed that while I was listening to music on my Video iPod, the one speaker was giving out and not outputting audio. At first, I thought it was the speakers giving out already, but then I tried several different sets of headphones with my iPod and they all had the same problem.

I then used the same sets of headphones on my CD player and they all worked fine, so I'm assuming it's a problem with the iPod's audio jack or something. Can anybody give me direction as to what the problem is and, possibly, how to solve it, please? Any help would be appreciated! Thank you.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

In a heavy use situation, it has happened that the headphone jack can become "loose". When new, you probably noticed that there is a physical "click" when you insert your headphones. As time goes, this can become less noticeable -- i.e. the little ball bearing/metail clip that clicks over the indent on the jack isn't as tight.

If this happens with all headphones you have, the jack may be becoming worn out. When this happens, one channel, usually the right (I believe), cuts in and out or is totally absent.

I would take it in and have it looked at...is it still under the one year warranty...did you but AppleCare for it?

C

Reaction score
Thank you Cory! Yes, I tested my headphones again and it's the right channel that cuts in and out. Yes, my iPod is still under the 1 year warranty and no, I did not get the AppleCare protection plan.

I was thinking of sending it in for them to inspect, and now that I have a 2nd opinion, I'll definitely do that. Thanks for your help, Cory. :D

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

No problem. I would send it in for testing...it's still covered under the one year, so why not, right?

Good luck and let us know what happens.

C

Reaction score
Just another solution, but have you checked all the settings for audio on the iPod? I haven't got mine anymore but I am sure there are settings for headphones/audio pertaining to the left/right channel.

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I found no menu options or settings pertaining to the left/right channels that fixed the problem. :mad: I guess I'll have to send it in so they can take a look at it. Thank you for your help, though. :D

I went to Apple's site to request a repair online, but even though my iPod is still under warranty, I have to pay shipping fees since it's been over 6 months since my iPod was purchased. Seeing as I don't have a credit card, I have to bug somebody in my house to use theirs to pay for the fees. That shouldn't be a problem, though.

Thanks again for the help, guys! I'll let you know how it works out.

Ask a Question