Audio problem on iMac

Reaction score
I have an iMac running Snow Leopard and suddenly (today) the audio in iTunes became "scratchy". Best way to describe it is that all audio sounds like it has periodic hiccups or skips. Tested this outside of iTunes and played audio from a browser window and it has the same audio issue. Also audio from video does this (ie. YouTube)

Next, I made a test user account and tried the audio in that account. No hiccups.

So it looks as if it's based on my main account only. I don't want to just start deleting preference files because I'm not 100% positive of what that would do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Side note that may complicate the issue: At the same time that this problem started, my Time Machine software has stopped doing it's hourly backups without being prompted. I can't see a connection other than this problem starting at the exact same time.

Ask a Question