sound problems hub firewire 800 m-audio2626

Reaction score
I have an irregularity with my sound system, using an external hard drive.
When connecting my M-audio2626 with the firewire 800, on the computer, it works. But when going through the hub firewire 800, no more sound.

Control panel: checked the connection; ok. Firewire Connection is recognized when the external drive, three-port repeater IEEE-1394B800MBPS, is connected. When i disconnect the external, the settings respond appropriately, indicating no connection.
Cable and Ports: ok
Drive: going through the hub, the external hard drive memory works, there are no problems accessing or viewing data.

Any advice welcome, thank you.

Reaction score
FireWire is designed to work as a chain, not a hub. Some devices expect that.

Reaction score
thank you for responding,
i'm not sure i understood "to work as a chain"
could you please give more advice ?
the fact is that I am a musician and composer, i work with "Logic pro" and the interface M-audio.
my i-mac has only one plug with firewire 800.
how shall i plug more than one device on it ? (external hard disc, interface, sound banks...)
thank you.
in case you're interested in music, our youtube channel to discover the "Cristal"
http://www.youtube.com/user/hopensemble?feature=mhee

Reaction score
A chained device has 2 FireWire Ports, One In and the other for the next device. If they only have one Port then they are normally at the end of the chain.

A hub, builds a star, while many devices can work in this configuration, some may not. This is because it is not how the bus has been designed.

So when you are purchasing FireWire devices keep this in mind, does it have both an In/Out or is it an end of chain device. The ones that can't are often cheaper.

From what I can see the 2626 can be chained so plug that into the Mac, then plug your hub into that, better yet daisy chain all the devices you can, then put the hub in at the end. Also FireWire can only chain 63 devices.

Ask a Question