Sound not working

Reaction score
The sound on my MacBook Pro has stopped working. MBP 2.53 Ghz intel core i5. OSX 10.6.8.

External speakers are not available to select in the Preferences > Sound.
Output:
Name: Digital out
Type: Optical digital-out port.

Screen shot 2019-01-27 at 16.18.48.jpg

I have tried resetting the PRAM & SMC. I have tried blowing in the jack ports. I have tried playing through headphones (sound works then) and pulling them out, but Preferences does not reset correctly to internal speakers.

It doesn't make a start-up sound, but it does when I reset the PRAM.

Any other suggestions please?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

This is a fairly common issue. The combo audio output jack is stuck on digital. Can you see a red light emitting from the audio jack? Does an audio cable seat properly?

Sometimes gently inserting and removing a headphone cable multiple times will fix it. Canned air can also remove any lint/dust/debris and allow it to reset to analog output. I don't recommend trying to use any other object to remove anything from the audio jack, as it can be damaged.

You can also try:
-How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac
-Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

If those steps don't work, the audio board may need replacement, as there is also the possibility that the board has failed. Do you have an Apple Store close by that could take a look and perform diagnostics?

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory, you are a hero - I now have sound thanks to your suggestion of "removing a headphone cable multiple times". It didn't work immediately, but after several goes the internal speakers recet themselves. Man, many thanks and have a great day :):):):)

Ask a Question