iMac SSD Clicking Sound - Audio Sample

Reaction score
Just received a refurbished iMac from OWC. Every now and again, I hear a clicking sound. It's not continuous but it is loud and noticeable and doesn't sound normal. I suspect it might be a fan hitting something? Any suggestions or advice?

This is about 5 minutes after start up. No clicking prior:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VBT7onNRrFUSwHne345zhnlxo4DPT4cu

Any fellow Mac owners who've dealt with a similar issue - ANYONE???

Reaction score
Wanted to listen to it, that for the link, I need "access/permission". I requested it (via that link), but nothing yet.

In any event, from what I understand, OWC is an excellent company to work with, so it might be good to work with them. Myself, IO'd be concerned with that noise. i've never had SSD issues (own 3 of them at present, and had another one in the mid 2013 MacBook Air I sold a while back).

Reaction score
OK, I can view the video now. The "noise" is not vey loud, but it is there. Get in touch with OWC. I am more than willing to bet that they will make things right.

Reaction score
The video may not do it justice. It's actually loud enough to hear over headphones. I've spoken with OWC – they recommended finding somebody else who's had this problem. They suspect it may be the power supply (I live in Mexico which has 127V not not 120V) but they don't recommend replacing it as there is no change in performance of the computer.

Ask a Question