Imac g5 ssd upgrade

Reaction score
Hi there everyone, I am trying to upgrade an old PPC Imac with an ssd to make applications load at nice speeds. Its basically just used for browsing the internet, so I figured an ssd would be a super duper upgrade.

So I installed this ssd into it, and installed 10.5.6. It boots up, gives me that welcome video, and then I proceed to configure the Keyboard and make the account. You know, the usual. But once I finish that, the ssd stops working. Thus, I am unable to read/write... anything.

I turn off the computer, and turn it on again and it does not boot. It has the flashing icon in the middle of a white screen basically saying there is nothing bootable connected. So I pop in the install disk, go into disk utility and try to verify the ssd but it can't be verified nor can it be repaired. It also doesn't mount. So I erase it, partition it and try it all again. Then it happens again. I did this about 5 times. The same thing just repeats every time I try to install.

Any tips? Its an OCZ Vertex Plus 240GB ssd.

I am quite tech savy, having built a few computers and what not, so I am able to follow through on any information without much help.

Thanks
-Kevin.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
You stated that the drive is:

OCZ Vertex Plus 240GB

-Is it a 2.5" or 3.5" HD?
-When you had the back off, did you notice any bulging capacitors?
-Do you have Apple or third-party RAM?

C

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply, work sucks eh ;).

It's a 2.5". I can't say I did notice any bulging capacitors, and the ram is Apple.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No problem.

No bulging caps - good
Apple RAM - good

Since it is a 2.5" notebook HD, do you have any sort of bracket or is it mounted loosely and allowed to make contact with the metal in the iMac's HD bay?

Also, do you have any third-party utilities like DiskWarrior, Drive Genius, TechTool Pro you can run from CD/DVD to test HD?

C

Reaction score
It is not in an enclosure, and could easily be touching metal. I will fix that tonight when I get home from work, and seen if it helps.

Ask a Question