.aac file problems

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum, and have no idea really where to put this question, but it seemed to fit alright in with this section.

I recently dl an .aac format song from the internet. It is 11.2 MB, I dont kno if that is large for an .aac file or not, this may be because it is close to 3 hrs long. I am having alot of trouble fiding a program that can convert this .aac file to...well anything else. I would like to convert it to .mp3 so i can put it on my Ipod. I have been browsing the web for the past few days looking for programs to do this, or tutorials. I have came across a few, such as converting it through Itunes, or dl Winamp. But none of those have worked. WinAmp and other programs of that sort, don't seem to work for my Mac (IMac G5 OSX), becuase it wants to run off of "classic". And I dont feel like I should need to make that switch. I am sorry if this is vauge but I dont know how else to describe it. Everytime I try to open it in .aac in any sort of media player it never works (Itunes, quicktime, realplayer, etc...). I did download music man and ran the trial to try and convert it. It seemed to be working well, or so I thought. I left it on, went to school, and came back around 7 hours later to find it still working. I left it running a bit longer but eventually got frustrated. I tried it again the next day, this time seeing if converting it to .wav would work better then converting it to .mp3. It didnt.

So I am now coming to you guys to see if any of you have a solution, or a program that would allow me to convert this file. I would prefer if it were free, but if I must pay then so be it. If you need clarification on anything just ask me.

Thank you all so much,

-Mik

Reaction score
After searching the 'net for a while, I would try just renaming the file to .mp4 or .m4a (.m4a, m4p, m4b, and m4v are extensions apple invented to differentiate between various content in mpeg4 when the formats are really just the same: unprotected audio-only, protected audio-only, audio book, and video, respectively... mp4 works just as well in all cases), since all the music sold through the iTunes Music Store is AAC, the iPod and iTunes can already play it. If that doesn't work, you'll need a program that wraps the aac into an mp4 file and adds a little bit more info to it (it's technically not a conversion, since it's the same format, just that .aac is stripped of some info), I don't know of any though, and my time on google didn't help.

Reaction score
Ok, thnx alot Daydreamer I didn't know that.

Ill keep on searching but change the name as you suggested.

-Mik

Ask a Question