XHCI function in Mac OS

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am intending to use my 2019 iMac with a JBOD 4 bay thunderbolt disk array, but I am told that this requires XHCI which is not implemented in MACOS.

Can anyone confirm that this is true and if it is fixable, as this could stop my project?

Thanks

Fogggy

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Is your iMac the iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019) or iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)? Or, another model?
-Which version of OS X/macOS?
-Which brand/model is the Thunderbolt enclosure?

I don't recall any external RAID enclosures that require XHCI.

C

Reaction score
Hi C,

Thanks for the prompt reply. My iMac is a 27 inch 2019 Model running Catalina 10.15.3.

I haven't yet chosen a disk box because of the doubt about XHCI, and I don't need RAID as I just need to be able to simultaneously use 2 - 4 hard disk (SSDs possibly) . I want to be able to see each disk as a disk in the finder and to be able to transfer files between them, between them and the internal drive and between them and my website.

There are actually two requirements. The one I describe for 4 disks is my wife's photography MacBook pro, and my need is for just two disks.

I have been dissuaded from buying a box because some manufactures include a caveat like "MAC users should confirm that XHCI facilities are implemented for this to work", and when I checked this with Apple, they said "iMacs don't have XHCI".

Unhelpful!

Regards

Foggy

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

I hadn't heard of XHCI as a requirement for external RAID enclosures. Could you post links to the manufacturer website(s) that state that? I would be happy to look into it further. I haven't seen that from companies like OWC, G-Drive, etc.

I have several external single disk and 2-bay RAID enclosures from OWC, NewerTech, G-Drive, LaCie. But, none of them have Thunderbolt connections, as my main iMac is from 2009. ;) They work flawlessly...but, I run the four 2-bay RAIDs in RAID 1 configuration, not JBOD.

We'll see what we can figure out.

C

Reaction score
Hi C,

Interesting answer. My limited knowledge indicates that JBOD systems require XHCI implementation so that a number of devices and a number of data streams are viable over one USB 3 port. It also appears that current PC hardware comes with this as a default, but Macs don't, although further research tells me that Apple have implemented the same system as found in PCs but with an arbitrary limit to the number of devices supported.

Further, RAID systems have no such need as they don't have any requirement for identifying the multiple disk devices over the USB connection.

Furthermore, the only manufacturer you mentioned available in Australia is OWC, and the price is quite high. Apple offer one box at an excruciating price, and the other options include ICY BOX and Orico. Interesting that the manufacturer I got the statement about XHCI from has disappeared, and their products are no longer listed by retailers.

There is a glimmer of hope regarding the ICY BOX IB3640SU3, as one of my retailers actually describes JBOD functionality in detail and states Apple compatible too. I have contacted them with specific questions and confirmation that it will work with my iMac.

More when and if they get back to me.

Foggy

Ask a Question