How to change key functions

Reaction score
In Microsoft Word it is easy to eliminate that annoying Caps Lock key -- because it's so easy to hit it inadvertently -- and to substitute a combination of keys. But how do you do that in Pages? I can substitute a function key -- also easy to hit inadvertently by non-great typists like me. But how can i make it something like opt-A, for example, because that is not so easy to hit by accident?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which version of OS X/macOS?
-Which version of Pages?

You may be able to use a third-party app like:
-Karabiner
-BetterTouchTool

I haven't used wither, so I can't say for sure if they will work for your use. You could always send them a note.

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which version of OS X/macOS?
-Which version of Pages?

You may be able to use a third-party app like:
-Karabiner
-BetterTouchTool

I haven't used wither, so I can't say for sure if they will work for your use. You could always send them a note.

C
My mac OS is 10.13.4 and Pages is 7.0.1.I will check out the two apps you mentioned. But, is this really so unique? Don't others have this problem and have found way to solve it?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Thanks for the additional information.

It's not an issue I have come across previously, but I am sure others have run into it.

Let us know if either of those apps work for you, or if you find another solution.

C

Reaction score
Thanks for the additional information.

It's not an issue I have come across previously, but I am sure others have run into it.

Let us know if either of those apps work for you, or if you find another solution.

C
BetterTouchTool charges (not a lot, but still) for a license and for such a simple function, which is all I need, I didn't think it was worth it. Karabiner is free but has no help function so (for the simple-minded like me) using it is too much of a challenge. I tried changing the one thing I am mostly concerned with, that Caps lock problem, and I could find no way to set up a combination of function key and letter, for example. So I have disabled the Caps lock key -- not hard to do once you have explored the nether regions of a mac (;-) and if I ever have to write anything with an extend section of all caps I will re-enable it. Thanks for the help

Ask a Question