Change Bing to Google in Safari

Reaction score
I have always used google to search. Starting about 2 months ago, when I search something in safari the google page appears but the moment I hit return, it goes to bing. This is very frustrating because I don't want bing, I don't like it. I have tried many things, but I can't get rid of it. My computer runs on mojave 10.14.1.

Reaction score
Another individual was having search engine issues in Safari recently, and it seemed to be due to some kind of malware/virus. What happens when you use another browser?

Also, a newer version of Mohave, V10.14.2, was released last week. You can get either the "delta" update or "combo" update from here:

https://support.apple.com/downloads/macos

Reaction score
This is a joke, right?
Can anyone give me some good advice?
Malware can hijack your browser, so maybe a quick scan with malwarebytes or similar could sort out your problem.

Alternatively go to safari preferences and check which search engine is selected as the default.

Reaction score
Okay, thanks. I've done the Safari preferences thing but it didn't work. I'll try with malwarebytes and I'll let you know.

Reaction score
You are brilliant! It worked! I did the malwarebytes thing and it actually worked! Thank you so, so much, Lufbrarunner. This problem was driving me mad.

Reaction score
This is a joke, right?
Can anyone give me some good advice?

No, it's not a joke! I actually was trying to help you, and knowing whether or not it affected other browsers is useful information. As it is, as I mentioned (but you were ?blind? to read), one other individual recently had a similar issue with Safrai, but NOT with another browser.

My next suggestion was going to be actually 2 programs to use: Malwarebytes, and ClamXav. Malwarebytes is good, but it does not always catch everything. ClamXav is better.

Also, upgrading to V10.14.2 of Mohave would be good also.

So, it was not a joke. Just trying to help. But obviously you can't envision that!

Reaction score
I apologize. I was extremely frustrated because I had been trying for a couple of weeks and I wasn't getting anywhere. My apologies once again.

Reaction score
Ap0logy accepted. In the future, it's best if you realize when one is actually trying to help you.

Now, I would recommend you download and run ClamXav, just to make sure there are no other viruses/malware/adware on your machine. You can get it from here:

https://www.clamxav.com/

When you run it, make sure to select your entire internal drive to be scanned. It will take some time for that process to complete, but better to be safe than sorry.

Reaction score
You're welcome. Please make sure you have a backup though. In actuality, when Malwarebytes was suggested, the same precaution should have been mentioned.

Ask a Question