Change Keyboard Settings with Automator

Reaction score
Hello there,

I'm trying to check/uncheck a setting within system preferences (The "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys" checkbox) and am having some mixed results. I'm running an iMac with a cinema display as a secondary monitor.

Here is the sequence I created:
  1. Run AppleScript to open System Preferences
    • This runs fine when I run it from within Automator or when I run the saved automator app
  2. Watch Me Do (Keyboard) - click the Keyboard option within system preferences
  3. Watch Me Do (Click) - check/uncheck the desired checkbox
  4. Watch Me Do (Close) - click the X to close the window
    • Tried the Quite Application action, but it didn't seem to work
Here is the problem I encountered:
  • When I run it from automator, it works fine
  • When I run it as an app, it tells me "The action "Watch Me Do (Keyboard)" encountered an error."
Any ideas? Should this be written as a script? Should I be trying a different approach?

Your help is appreciated.

Reaction score
Works like magic!

Incidentally, I didn't have my app checked off in the Accessibility section, so that was causing issues. But this script is exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks so much.

Reaction score
I am getting the following error when I try to run this on when I try to run this on Sonoma 14.1.1. Please help if you can? Thank you!

The action "Run AppleScript" encountered an error: "System Events got an error: Can't get checkbox 1 of group 1 of scroll area 1 of group 2 of splitter group 1 of group 1 of sheet 1 of window
1 of process "System Settings".
Invalid index."
OK

Ask a Question