Alt key -> mission control, how do I change it

Reaction score
Hi!

I have a problem that seems like it should be easy to solve, I just can't figure it out. If I press the alt/options key on my Macbook pro the current program I'm using "fly away" and I'm shown all of the programs I have open on my current desktop (mission control). This is extremely annoying as I have to use the alt key to produce special characters (and to use certain cheats when gaming...). I have tried to change this myself in mission control settings and a few other places, but nowhere does it say that the alt key alone should function this way. I'm fairly sure I haven't accidentally changed the settings myself, it just randomly started happening a few years ago and I can't figure out how to change it back. I did try to google it but found no results. Has anyone had a similar issue with this? And more importantly, how do I change it? I'm using a macbook pro keyboard set to Swedish.

Reaction score
Sure seems strange! A couple of questions, if I may, along with a "report":

1. Are you sure that you are just pressing the alt/option key?

2. What exact Mac OS are you running?

OK, I have 2 Macs, each of them running the latest version of Sierra, OS 10.12.6. One of them is a late 2012 Mac Mini, and through a USB connection, I have an Apple "Extended" (ie, has a numeric pad) keyboard that I am using with it. My other machine is a mid 2013 13" Mac Book Air, with (of course) a built-in keyboard (similar to your set up). On both machines, whether I have a program open or not, when I press just the alt/option key (on either side of the space bar), nothing happens. I looked at the Keyboard System Preference, and I saw nothing there that included the alt/option key.

This link shows all the"normal" Mac keyboard shortcuts:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201236

For some reason, there is a "setup" on your Mac that is causing this reaction to pressing just the alt/option key.

You stated that you like to play games on your machine. Maybe one of those games set this option up. What other third party (ie, non-Apple) software do you use?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Just for clarifications sake, when you look in System Preferences ~> Mission Control~> Keyboard & Mouse Shortcuts, does the keyboard shortcut look like in the attached photo which is Control Up Arrow, but that shortcut doesn't show Mission Control?

Screen Shot 2017-11-11 at 5.43.40 pm.png

Reaction score
Spawn_Dooley,

You're a genius! I never knew about such shortcuts, but yeah, I see them. I have not messed with them at all, but it looks like the possibilities are endless! And one can set such short cuts via only one key that is "repeated", that is, one can change the shortcut to Mission Control to either the left option key, or the right option key.

What could be a mystery is whether or not an application can get to that preference and make changes?

Reaction score
Hi, and thanks for taking the time!

To Spawn_Dooley, the shortcuts looks just like the image you posted, I've checked them before to see if that's where the problem was but mysteriously the answer is no.

Honestone, gaming might be a strong word, I mostly play the Sims 4 and Civilization VI to procrastinate. Pressing the alt key sends me to mission control no matter what program I'm running (Google Chrome, Finder, Sims on origin or Civ on Steam, Microsoft word or any other programs or apps I'm running). I'm sure I'm only pressing the alt key and I've tested it in all the programs/apps I usually run and it happens regardless on where I am doing it or in what context.

The non-apple software I have installed is Steam, Origin, Microsoft Word, Google Chrome, Spotify. I've installed a few new things over the past few weeks, but since this started happening maybe two years ago I'm fairly sure it has nothing to do with those.

I'm running on Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6, with a built in keyboard set to Swedish. I've checked all the shortcut preferences both in the mission control settings and in the keyboard settings and nowhere is the alt key symbol on its own the shortcut.

I've tried googling and checking different Apple support pages for help but I haven't found anyone with a similar problem so I'm a bit lost and I appreciate all the help I can get with this mystery! It isn't a huge problem but it is annoying.

Thank you both! Any suggestions on what to do next? I'm attaching pictures of how the mission control settings window looks and how my keyboard shortcuts windows looks. It's in Swedish but at least you can see what the shortcuts are.
Skärmavbild 2017-11-11 kl. 21.03.39.png
Skärmavbild 2017-11-11 kl. 21.03.24.png
Skärmavbild 2017-11-11 kl. 21.02.46.png

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome,

I see in your Mission Control screenshot, you have Mission Control set to be activated by the musens mittknapp - mouse middle button.

-Do you have a third-party Bluetooth mouse? If so, which brand/model?
-Have you checked the preferences for the mouse?
-Have you tried disabling the mouse trigger?

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory Cooper!

I have an Apple magic mouse 2, that I rarely use. It connects via bluetooth, bluetooth is usually disconnected on my laptop (since I don't really use the mouse). When I have used the mouse I haven't changed the settings on it at all, so it should be set to normal factory settings for that product. I just connected it to test and the alt key still sends me to mission control with or without the mouse connected via bluetooth, if that's any help.

Thank you!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries,

Have you tried the Restore Defaults button when in Keyboard > Shortcuts > Mission Control?

C

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Do you have another user account you could log into to test if the Alt key activates Mission Control?

Ask a Question