Alternatives to the iOS "Music" app

Reaction score
Apple seems to have developed a tendency to keep making changes to things after there's no practical way they could be improved, which usually results in their becoming worse.

For example, the iOS music app. With 10.3.2, at least they've corrected a mistake they made a few years ago where all your albums by one artist are in one long playlist, alphabetized by album title, and gone back to simply giving you that artist's albums to choose from.

But it no longer recognizes that some long radio program files I use it to listen to have had "Remember playback position" checked within iTunes -- Music can't remember the playback position anymore. Music no longer displays the timings of songs or albums. I, for one, find this irritating.

I'm trying to find alternatives to Music, but when I search for music apps, they're for streaming or something else. And I don't really want to upload my music collection to Google's server. Can you recommend other apps that will play the music that's loaded onto my device?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-Which model device - iPhone, iPad, etc.?

For Apple iOS devices, there aren't any other apps that will play synced music from iTunes. Not sure why it won't remember playback position.

-Could the file types have changed?
-Have you tried un-syncing and re-syncing the tracks?
-Have you tried unchecking Remember playback position, syncing, then checking it, and syncing again?

C

Reaction score
I have an iPhone 6s.

I haven't tried those things, but every week I'm putting a new set of shows on my phone, and ever since installed last fall's iOS "upgrade", the phone no longer notices that I've marked the files to remember playback position. One would think that, if the checking/unchecking and synching/unsyching would work, then "remember playback position" would work sometimes without doing that, but it never does.

Reaction score
Oddly, just testing it out now, the files are remembering playback position. But when I actually WANT it to work, it doesn't!

Ask a Question