Stop ios auto downloads & maps app issue

Reaction score
First, can automatic downloads of iOS updates be stopped?
Second, if so, what steps must I take to prevent the auto download of iOS updates?
Phone is iPhone 6s
iOS is 11.0.3
One more question as long as I’m here.
How can addresses be erased from Maps?
None of the directions in the iPhone app work. I tried all that could be followed. Addresses I only used once are in there forever. What a lousy app!!!!!

Reaction score
Hi Cory
Thanks for the response.
Yes, maps instructions very helpful.
No, ios instructions not helpful at all.
The issue is with ios downloads, not other apps. I have had the auto button turned off forever. It works for all apps except the ios itself. Ios downloads automatically every time. I don't want that. I don't want anyone or anything introducing itself into my iPhone, iPad, Mac Book Pro, or any other device that I don't first screen. So, the question still remains: Can the ios app, that is the operating system, automatic download be stopped? If so, how?
For instance. The latest ios (11.1.2) downloaded itself onto my iPhone 6s just a few days ago. It purports to fix some issues with iPhone X. I don't have an iPhone X, nor do I anticipate having one in the future. My iPhone 6s is just dandy and I am still learning how to use it, so no, I will not be giving my 6s away just so I can spend $1000 on an iPhone X, so, no I don't need ios 11.1.2.
So, it is already downloaded, taking up space on my phone and I don't need it, I don't want it and it is of no use to me. How do I get rid of it? No, I haven't installed it yet at least that is my option, but it appears to be my only option unless you have a fix in mind.
Thanks again.
hankdz2

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Sorry the first link wasn't helpful.

I am not sure you can turn off automatic downloading of iOS update, but you can delete it:

Remove the iOS update
1. Settings > General > iPhone Storage
2. Find the iOS update in the list of apps
3. Tap the iOS update, then tap Delete Update

See if that works for deleting the update file.

C

Reaction score
Sorry the first link wasn't helpful.

I am not sure you can turn off automatic downloading of iOS update, but you can delete it:

Remove the iOS update
1. Settings > General > iPhone Storage
2. Find the iOS update in the list of apps
3. Tap the iOS update, then tap Delete Update

See if that works for deleting the update file.

C
That worked. However, it looks as if future iOS updates will automatically download. Then I can decide whether to add them or delete them. That seems rather Orwellian to me but I guess that’s how Apple make’s money
Thanks for your help.
Hank

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...glad it's partly fixed. ;) At least you have a work-around for now.

C

Reaction score

Ask a Question