Conflicting info about my hard drive health...

Reaction score
Hi Everyone - new here :) I have an older iMac (mid-2010) running High Sierra... I recently had an external drive fail and I decided to get a little more proactive with regards to what my other drives are doing. UI ran Diskwarrior on my iMacs internal drive and got an error message, not letting me defrag because of a drive failure (!) It said I should hurry and get my data off of it as soon as possible. I decided to run the mac's own Disk Utility and it said everything is fine.

This is confusing to me! I will say that my HD is near capacity (1 terabyte with 70 gb free (I'm ashamed and working on it :) but I can't see how that's the issue. Which app should I trust?

I do back up my drive (clone) every night to an external drive using Carbon Copy Cloner, but it's still scary. Thanks in advance for your help!

Reaction score
If the machine still has the original internal drive, and especially if little to no disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs has been done, then there is a good chance the drive could be failing. I would trust what Disk Warrior says.

Can you boot fine from the Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) backup? (I use SuperDuper!, which is similar to CCC).

Did you try a clean, "virgin" installation of V10.13.6 of High Sierra? If you have the latest "Install macOS High Sierra" file on your backup (if not, you can download it from the App Store), what you can do is boot your machine from CCC, and then run both Disk Utility and Disk Warrior from there to analyze your internal drive. If Disk Utility says things are fine, have it Erase and Format the internal drive. Then do a clean installation of OS 10.13.6, and you will be offered the opportunity to "migrate/copy" needed "stuff" from your CCC backup.

Reaction score
I had a similar issue in that TechTool Pro was telling me my internal HD was going south on me, but Intech's SpeedTools said the drive was fine. Incidentally, I don't put much trust in what Disk First Aid has to say about any drive's health. It's a great utility for doing a lot of things, but it isn't worth a tinker's damn about the actual state of a hard disk. It's either a "go" or "no go" with Disk First Aid.

I'd do what Honestone recommends about your course of action. And as far as Carbon Copy Cloner is concerned, I think it's a superb product and maintain multiple clones of every Mac I own and can boot from any of them.

I don't envy you the prospect of having to replace the internal drive of your iMac, though. I finally got up the courage to do it myself. The biggest task isn't disassembling the thing as much as getting the display re-installed with all the micro-wiring and teenie-tiny little connectors plugged back in. Other World Computing has the suction cups and tools you'll need, in addition to free downloadable videos to guide you through every step if you undertake this endeavor.

And if you do, I heartily recommend you opt to go with a SSD. They're becoming very affordable, and they're unbelievably fast. In any event, you really should make an effort to keep no less than 10% of your drive free. The drive will last longer. (I keep at least 20% or more free, but I'm anal like that.) And if you go with a SSD, you'll never ever need to defragment, regardless of what you may read or hear. The wear leveling technology constantly re-writes data on the drive to enhance its longevity. Actually, defragmenting a SSD will greatly reduce its life span.

As far as defragmenting is concerned, I found this in one of OWC's old blogs:

Why Macs Usually Don’t Need to be Defragged
Since the days of Mac OS X “Panther” (which shipped in 2003), Mac OS X and its successor macOS have used something called Hot File Adaptive Clustering (HFC) to automatically defragment files. Think of HFC as constantly performing defragmentation on hard disk drives, ensuring that the HDD is always as optimized as possible for reading and writing data. HFC works very well for most users and as a result, most users should never need to defrag a Mac hard drive.

The one problem no one ever seems to address when installing a third party SSD in a Mac is that your machine won't have T.R.I.M. support enabled. (TRIM is enabled on factory SSDs, however. It just isn't when you pop in a replacement or upgrade.) The SSD will work fine, but it will die sooner. To enable T.R.I.M., you'll have to make some changes in the Terminal to turn it on. And as usual, I can't find the link at the moment, but it can be found at Other World Computing's website (macsales.com). If not, I'm confident one of the gurus running the site here can help you out.

As a side note, I do keep three clones for my 2010 iMac. One has El Capitan, one has Sierra and the last one has High Sierra, but I hate that OS. It's dog-poop slow on every Mac I own, and even though I've updated it religiously, I still don't trust it. And on my old iMac, El Capitan actually runs the fastest and is the most stable.

I really like my old 2010 iMac, even though it only has 8GB of RAM and doesn't have USB 3. At least it has FireWire 800 which I can tolerate, I like the optical drive and the built-in SD card reader is a real plus.

Reaction score
As usual, excellent advice by Allen! Also, Amazon has a super price on a Samsung 860 EVO 500 gig SSD:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-500G...p/B0781Z7Y3S/?tag=dealnewscom&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I am very tempted to get one, as Best Buy will match that price (Best Buy has it for $10 more), and I have a $10 Best Buy Rewards certificate. Thus, I could get it for $79.99 + tax.

Samsung makes the best SSDs. I have 3 of them (a 840 Pro 256 gig inside my Mac Mini, and two 850 Pro 512 gig SSDs in nice, slim Orico enclosures). (I am still trying to sell my 1 TB Hitachi drive, in side a slim Orico enclosure).

Reaction score
I think you and I are much like my Dad and a neighbor of ours when I was growing up. They were great good friends, but they'd argue like the Hatfields and McCoys when it came to their preferred flavors of automobiles. My Dad was an unshakable disciple of the Cult of Chevrolet, and our neighbor Charlie thought the sun rose and set on the Fraternity of the Fabulous Ford. Except you and I don't argue about which drive is superior. (Smacks of the old Mac v. PC feuds, doesn't it?)

I have a single Samsung SSD in my hard drive arsenal, which I purchased upon your hearty endorsement. It gets its share of use and I think it's a splendid device. But I have to say I'm in OWC's camp with their line of Mercury SSDs simply because I've got so many of them and have used them since SSD prices were high enough to subsidize the failing economy of Venezuela for 20 minutes!

You go with what you know and what you have the most experience with. I take great comfort in simply doing business with OWC since they're so easy to get in touch with and they stand behind everything they sell. I'm certain their drives are probably manufactured by someone else (maybe even Samsung for all I know!), but the thought of having to try to contact Samsung itself gives me the shudders. And God knows I wouldn't do business with Best Buy if a band of archangels appeared and said I had to.

I'm sure there are a number of Crucial devotees out there, too. They make great RAM, but don't know a thing about anything else they make, although I'm sure they're just fine. Same with other manufacturers, too. But as I said, you stick with what you like and what works for you.

Incidentally, OWC recently introduced a "low price" SSD option under the Neptune name. I installed a 500GB number in my granddaughter's MBP she uses at college. I suspect she's negligent about love and care for her Mac and all that, so this will be an interesting test as to how it works out!

Reaction score
Well stated! I have purchased some products from OWC (specifically, back in March, I purchased 8 gig of Ram for my Mac Mini, and as expected, it works flawlessly!), and OWC has some excellent reviews. The 2 Samsung 850 Pro SSDs I got a while back, my nephew was able to get them for me for s super price.

That 860 EVO SSD is definitely pulling me more and more!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Just a point of clarification: Disk Utility doesn't do as extensive testing on drives as DiskWarrior, and cannot perform a full surface scan like Drive Genius/TechTool Pro. If DiskWarrior cannot repair the volume directory due to a hardware failure, then the hard drive is failing and will need to be replaced. It is giving you that error, because it cannot read/write to blocks in the volume header/directory. In addition, there are probably more bad blocks on the rest of the drive.

My suggestion, since you have a CCC clone of the drive, would be to run a full surface scan on the drive using Drive Genius or TechTool Pro. It will probably find bad blocks, and you will need to replace the hard drive.

C

Ask a Question