Xfinity wifi works fine for hour then stops???

Reaction score
So my wifi works fine for about an hour or so and then stops. I believe the term is "Time-Out". I will be browsing with no problems at all then I click on a new page and it just shows a white page that's trying to load but never does. I can restart the computer and it will work fine again for about 30 minutes. My phone, gaming devices, and other computers work fine. The problems are only with the mac.

I'm on an older mac. iMac (27-inch, Mid 2010) I'll attach a pic of the computer info. Using Xfinity wifi. I'll also attach a pic of wifi info using the cmd+clicking on wifi.

Computer is using macOS Sierra 10.12.6 and I believe that's as high as I can update because of the age of the computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-07 at 3.04.08 PM copy.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-07 at 3.04.08 PM copy.png
    301.3 KB · Views: 205
  • Screen Shot 2019-05-07 at 3.56.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-07 at 3.56.12 PM.png
    91.1 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-Have you tried another web browser?
-Have you tried power cycling the modem/router?
-Have you checked the settings in the Network preference pane - especially TCP/IP, DNS, and Proxies?
-Have you tried a simple restart of the Mac?

C

Reaction score
Hello,

-Have you tried another web browser?
-Have you tried power cycling the modem/router?
-Have you checked the settings in the Network preference pane - especially TCP/IP, DNS, and Proxies?
-Have you tried a simple restart of the Mac?

C
Sorry for being a little vague.
It is the same on all web browsers
I tried unplugging the router and plugging back in after 30 seconds
I tried completely reseting the router, holding a paper clip in the restart button reseting everything
I renewed my DHCP Lease and changed my DNS to 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 and set a custom MTU to 1453
Restarting the mac is the only thing that works but like I said once I restart it, it works for about 30 minutes no problem then right back to the problem of being so slow it won't even load a page.

My computer, in the last couple months or so has been a little warmer than usual so I thought that might have been a problem. I downloaded a fan app where I can monitor the heat and set custom fan speeds but that didn't work either. I believe this problem started after updating to 10.12.6 Sierra but not positive. What I do know is that a "Superdrive" icon showed up in my menu bar at the top of the screen out of nowhere and ever since its been there the problem has been happening. I am assuming it came with the update. I'll attach a screenshot of it. Thanks

Attachments

• 20190509_113157.png
    20190509_113157.png
    20 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

A couple more things:
-Your router IP shows as 10.0.0.1 Is it from your ISP, or is it your own? If yours, brand/model?
-Check to see if this mirrors your settings - if not, try matching these and restart:

-Did you change the DNS servers to Google on the router configuration page, or your Mac?

The (SuperDrive) Eject icon is simply a menulet. It shouldn't have anything to do with the issue. You can hold the Command key, then click and drag it down off the menu bar to remove it. You may have to pause for a second until you see the delete button appear (circle with x in it) on the upper right corner of the icon itself.

C

Reaction score
No worries.

A couple more things:
-Your router IP shows as 10.0.0.1 Is it from your ISP, or is it your own? If yours, brand/model?
-Check to see if this mirrors your settings - if not, try matching these and restart:
View attachment 2991
-Did you change the DNS servers to Google on the router configuration page, or your Mac?

The (SuperDrive) Eject icon is simply a menulet. It shouldn't have anything to do with the issue. You can hold the Command key, then click and drag it down off the menu bar to remove it. You may have to pause for a second until you see the delete button appear (circle with x in it) on the upper right corner of the icon itself.

C
The 10.0.0.1 is from the Comcast/Xfinity ISP I believe. Before I changed them to Google they were 10.0.0.1 and something else under that I don't remember. Changing it did not effect the problem in any way. My Proxies settings do match the image you posted. I set the DNS in the Network Preferences only. I'll attach a screenshot. Thanks for the superdrive menu bar info I just removed it. While looking for help browsing other forums I saw someone stated that making a New User fixed wifi problems for them. I tried that to no avail. It seems really strange that restarting the computer fixes everything but only for a certain amount of time just like the wifi works originally only for a certain amount of time.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 3.49.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 3.49.21 PM.png
    43.9 KB · Views: 213

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

I assume you may have gotten a lot of the settings/tips from this article: Fix Wi-Fi Problems in macOS Sierra?

-Have you tried the PRAM/NVRAM and SMC resets mentioned in the article?
-Do you happen to have an Ethernet cable you could connect directly to the router to test a wired connection - if it has LAN ports?

C

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

I assume you may have gotten a lot of the settings/tips from this article: Fix Wi-Fi Problems in macOS Sierra?

-Have you tried the PRAM/NVRAM and SMC resets mentioned in the article?
-Do you happen to have an Ethernet cable you could connect directly to the router to test a wired connection - if it has LAN ports?

C
Yes that is the article! I reset the PRAM/NVRAM but didn't do the SMC. I'm going to do both now. I unfortunately don't have an ethernet cable but I am most likely going to get one today or tomorrow. Your time and help is greatly appreciated.

Ask a Question