Mac MAIL.app set up questions for (Comcast/Xfinity)

Reaction score
I have been having some trouble with my MAIL app not sending or receiving e-mails. I believe it may be some of my set up settings via iCloud setting and my Mail setting (comcast/Infinity) ISP. I have contacted Comcast to get tech help....we tried sending and receiving e-mail with and without attachments via their mail client in Firefox and everything went through fine. So they threw their hands in the air and said to try somewhere else... Apple?

I have been using Mail.app for years....with no trouble (till now)

I would like to send some screen shots to you to see what is wrong. Please respond and I will do so.

Note: Attached are 2 jpegs 1. Mail Preferences 2. iCloud Preferances - not sure how iCloud works with Mail.

Thank you very much!
Sincerely,
Reesche

Mac Pro
El Capitan 10.11.6
Firefox 51.0.1
Mail.app iCloud Preferances.jpg Mail Preferances.jpg

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Lufbrarunner is correct...outgoing mail on Comcast is through smtp.comcast.net.

C

Reaction score
Thank you guys for your replies...... When I went into my Preferances and went to Edit STMP it does say STMP. Just not in the first field. I have attached 3 screen shots showing you what I'm viewing. Let me know. Reesche

1.png Advanced.png Edit STMP.png

Reaction score
I am also on comcast, and for Incoming server, my setup (using Outlook 2016) is mail.comcast.net. And yes, for the Outgoing server, it is smtp.comcast.net; "port" 587. It's been a while since I did the initial setup (I had used Entourage and Outlook 2011 before, and never had an issue), but from what I remember, I had to type in that information, especially for the Outgoing server. Also, I have nothing checked under Incoming server, but under Outgoing, I do have the "Override default port" checked.

Also, I do not utilize iCloud at all.

And, some other differences from Reesche's setup:

1. My account type is POP, Reesche's is IMAP.

2. On my Account Setup screen, it just says Outgoing server, but on Reesche's, it says Outgoing server (SMTP). Not sure if his means that smtp will automatically become the first part of the Outgoing server's name.

3. On Reesche's setup, it says TLS Certificate. I don't see that on mine.

I guess it's possible for those screens to look different, given that he is using Apple's Mail program, but I ma using Outlook 2016.

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Change the port to 587 and enable SSL. See if that resolves it.

You can also delete the iCloud account if it is not used. It seems to be trying to use the Comcast SMTP as well.

C

Ask a Question