Will Old Programs Operate on Newer Systems

Reaction score
I am currently running a Mac Pro with 10.6 system. I can no longer utilize Firefox to access the internet because of the outdated system so I want to purchase another Mac Pro with a system 10.9 or higher. I realize newer programs will not operate, or even install, on older systems. My question is this: Will the programs I have installed on my Mac Pro/10.6, operate with one that has OS X 10.13 High Sierra or higher installed? Really appreciate your feedback as I need to make a change as soon as possible. Doug

Reaction score
I have generally found that the older software will run on newer machines for me. Usually it’s just the new updates to the software that will not run on an older OS. However, beware older stand-alone Adobe products written for 16-bit OS (e.g. Photoshop and Lightroom) will not re-install on the newer OS (Catalina and above) as these are 32-bit systems. You MIGHT get away with transferring them from a TimeMachine backup - as have mine (so far) - I’m running Mojave but haven’t chanced my arm upgrading to Catalina. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This information gives me something more to consider. Everyone needs a challenge. Thank you for your feedback I really appreciate it. Doug

Reaction score
I am currently running a Mac Pro with 10.6 system. I can no longer utilize Firefox to access the internet because of the outdated system so I want to purchase another Mac Pro with a system 10.9 or higher. I realize newer programs will not operate, or even install, on older systems. My question is this: Will the programs I have installed on my Mac Pro/10.6, operate with one that has OS X 10.13 High Sierra or higher installed? Really appreciate your feedback as I need to make a change as soon as possible. Doug
I'm not familiar with your version of the Mac Pro, but I know you can upgrade the OS quite a bit, and I would do so sooner rather than later. I don't know what your computer is capable of supporting, but hopefully can be upgraded at least to Sierra or High Sierra. It may be too old for Mojave, but your machine will let you know if you try to install it.

As far as Firefox is concerned, they're pretty good about keeping it updated. I use it on my iPhone a lot, and they sometimes pester me about updating it if I don't stay on top of it. So getting a newer version of OS X or macOS should let you run newer versions of Firefox as well.

You sound like me -- I hang on to my Macs until the wheels fall off before I pony up for a new (or newer) one.

GPS

Reaction score
Doug, from the way your question is posed, several issues seem to be conflated.

1. If your problem is access to the internet, try using another browser, such as Safari or Chrome, first. If that works, then "problem solved".
2. If that works and you prefer Firefox, then update your Firefox version, if you like.
3. Before replacing your Mac, perform a software update. If you haven't been keeping your MacOS version up to date (you haven't if you're running 10.6), just don't update to Catalina. High Sierra should be OK.

HTH

Reaction score
Just do NOT update to Catalina as any program that is 32 bit will no longer run at all. Catalina requires 64 bit programs. You can find out which of your programs are which by the following:

From the Apple sign top left corner click About this Mac.
Click on System Report
Way down at the bottom your will see a link for Applications
You will get a blank window and it will stay blank for a while. Don't be fooled, eventually your programs will show up. Just wait for it.
Once they do show up there is a slider bar you can pull down to see a lot of your programs at once.
On the very end of each line there is a row for 64 bit and it will tell you yes or no.

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
As Michael the T said, beginning with Catalina, all apps must be 64-bit. When looking for a more up to date Mac Pro to purchase, look for one that will at least update to Big Sur, even if it came with an earlier OS-x installed. Big Sur is going to be released any day now. Seems like Apple supports each new OS version for about three years.

Reaction score
If you want to know which applications (especially third party ones) are compatible with various versions of the Mac OS, this site is very good for that:

I have been using it for many years, and it certainly helps!

Ask a Question