Restoring from an older backup on TimeMachine

Reaction score
Hi,
Some time ago, I stupidly upgraded to Mojave and as a result lost access to various apps and a scanner. I have many months of backups on TimeMachine from before when I did the upgrade. I bought an external drive to serve as a bootable disc running an older OS (Sierra) so that I could use the lost apps, but when I try to use the installer I downloaded from Apple, I get the message that I can't install Sierra on the external because it doesn't have MAcOS on it. I formatted the external, but that does no good.
So my question is Can I restore to my external using backup from TimeMachine that predates the upgrade to Mojave? I tried it once but TimeMachine didn't seem to give me the option of selecting which date to use.
Thanks for any help,
Vin

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

You should be able to restore a full Time Machine backup using the steps outlined in Apple's article here: Restore your Mac from a backup - in the section Restore both macOS and your files.

Try those steps and see if that works.

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory,
I just wanted to report back. Your advice was excellent. After the successful transfer from TimeMachine to my external, I had a bit of trouble booting off the external. But I finally got it to work. So I'm now back and able to use the apps I had lost. Many thanks for your help.
Vin

Ask a Question