Help Restoring An Pbook G4 To Factory Settings

Reaction score
UQbx82n.jpg

I restart my computer pressing cmd + S to go to the terminal (console)

But there i found with thoose codes. and all the tutorials about how i do this start with "root:" but im with 0>

Please help!

(i.e
)

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

The screenshot you included is of Open Firmware (Command-Option-O-F), not single-user mode (Command-S). Those commands will not work there. Try Command-S again, and you should get a single-user mode Terminal window like in the video.

-Which model PowerBook G4?
-Which version of Mac OS 9/OS X are you going to install/use?
-Do you have the original install discs that came with the PowerBook?

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, that is a PowerBook G4 (12-inch 1.5GHz). The folder icon means it cannot find a bootable OS.

Again, Open Firmware will not help you to restore the Mac to factory defaults as far as Mac OS X is concerned. You will need the Mac OS X install discs to install an operating system. You will need the exact version of gray install discs that came with a 12" PowerBook G4, or a retail disc with Mac OS X 10.3.7 through 10.5.8.

-Can you perform an Option boot? Does it give you a choice of drives to startup from, i.e. Startup Manager?
-Do you have any Mac OS X install discs of the above versions at all?

C

Reaction score
-No i cant, i press cmd + S and i go to Firmware.
Is there another way?

-No, i dont have it.

Thanks.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK...maybe one of the keys is bad, preventing you from Option booting or Command-S booting.

When you are in Open Firmware, try the following commands in the order below:
reset-nvram then Enter/Return
set-defaults then Enter/Return
reset-all then Enter/Return (the Mac should restart - then try Command-S or Option booting)

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
You could try using the Command key on the other side of the space bar.

Hold the Option key only when booting...keep holding it until the Startup Manager shows up. Let us know if that works and if you see any drives to boot from.

-Is this PowerBook G4 new to you...if not, has it worked in the past?
-Sometimes a failed AirPort Card or RAM can cause PBs to boot into Open Firmware only.

C

Reaction score
Ok.

-It was from my girlfriend's mother and it work it.
But how i didnt have the admin password, i ask my brother to format, but he saids he need another cd reader.

When i press the Option Key when i was booting, that send me to the firmware as well.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
The next thing to try would be a PRAM/NVRAM reset:

Restart or power off and back on and immediately hold Option-Command-P-R keys until you hear two chimes, then release them. You can then try Command-S or Option boot.

C

Reaction score
I pressed, I heard the two sounds, then release, and press cmd + s and returned to the question mark.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK...good that it didn't go to Open Firmware.

I have been thinking about this, and I have actually overlooked an obvious thing and misguided you a bit. It seems that the hard drive either doesn't have an OS on it, or it is heavily corrupted, so that is why you cannot boot into single user mode (Command-S).

You are going to have to find some install discs to get OS X installed. If you have a Mac OS X install disc inserted, you will be able to Option boot or hold the C key down to boot from the disc. That will then allow you to install OS X.

When you try to enter singe user mode, are you pressing Command-S immediately after power on and before hearing the chime, then holding them until you see the black loading screen?

The videos you will see on YouTube about restoring a Mac to factory specs using single user mode without the install discs assume that you have a working version of Mac OS X installed on a working hard drive.

C

Reaction score
I understand that.

I have a Mac OS X CD, but if i want to Install them, get error.

When i press the power button and release and press cmd+s and then release, get question mark.
When i press the powerbutton and then release and immediately press cmd+s i get the question mark.
When i press cmd+s and the power button together to the end i get to firmware and the CD go out.

Ask a Question